Author Topic: My first osage stave! ... It is finished!!...  (Read 7129 times)

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first osage stave! ... It is finished!!...
« Reply #180 on: June 04, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »
Thanks Duck thats how i will do it then

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: June 06, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
couldn't wait.... braced it at 1" or so and gave it a few pulls on the tillering tree. hit around 40# @ 16", with one limb a little stiffer, straigtened that out, and now i have it braced around 4" and its hitting 42# @ 22". tiller is close but not perfect yet, and im a little nervous cause i don't have a whole lot of breathing room, this is going waaaay to quickly i feel like. the limbs are bending close to evenly (I say that now... not having looked at the pictures yet)  but how do they look?

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: June 06, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
Cool!
Looks like you modded your tree a bit.

You know I'm no expert Eric.
I'm seeing quite a bit of bend right at the right fade then almost straight for a few inches.

I'd be worried of compression fractures right at your right fade if the limb isn't weakened a tad.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: June 06, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
to me the left side looks pretty good..maybe the beginnings of a slow hinge in the middle...?
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: June 06, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
I've seen "finished" bows that looked worse though...lol

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: June 06, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
zradix im just not sure. there are so many bumps and wiggles  that fool the gizmo that its just hard to tell.  hoping a more experience eye can tell me something. not sure how i got to this point so quickly. probably not going to make 55#, 50 is probably more realistic at this point.  wondering if i need to get the outer thirds bending more now. to me it looks like all the bend is mid limb

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: June 06, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »
yeah and i did mod my tree. used a piece of waste from the form and made a slimmer, less intrusive block that allows me to put the bow on with a shorter brace.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: June 06, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »
Like I said man..I'm NO expert.

I'm sure better trained eyes will see the RIGHT stuff.

Those bumps would fool the gizmo..never thought about that..

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: June 06, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
this happened so quick that i got to step away from it for the day. hopefully i can get a few professional opinions by tomorrow.

:help:

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: June 06, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
Hoping to get on the tree tonight too.
...I'm gonna be asking the same questions...lol
The whole reflex tips tillering is weird to me.
The first one seemed good at first but I guess it was bad..lol

Hoping #2 goes better...lol

Very curious to see what the gurus have to say about yours here.
Much of the advice will pertain to my bow as well.

Thanks for making this thread!

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: June 06, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
yeppers...
I've noticed that too.
When it's going really well/fast I think my brain goes to sleep a bit cause it's not having to concentrate enough...then BAM all messed up..lol

Walking away can be a great "reset".

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: June 06, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »
Your right limb looks a bit hingy at the fade, but then is stiff to midlimb by my eye. Like the look of the left limb, but the right needs some work to match it. All the advice I've gotten is don't pull it any farther than you need to to reveal a flaw, regardless of weight.  My first self bow came in way underweight. I gave up trying to make weight and just focused on getting it bending where it needed to. Second one, I went VERY slow. Tillered most of it with a sanding block with 120 grit. Hard to go too fast with sandpaper. As I understand it, the reflexed tips uncurl towards he end of the draw.

Offline CardboardDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: June 06, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
To me it looks like the right is a bit stiffer in the inner third/midlimb, but I'm sure someone with more experience will chime it. Your fades look a little abrupt too.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: June 06, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
i think you guys are right about the right limb being stiff at inner third.... can anything be done about the fades now at this point?

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: June 06, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
I think you'll be fine if you leave them alone. Getting the limb bending should take some pressure off the fade. Can't put wood back on so all you can do is leave it alone!

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: June 06, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
think i got it straightened out pretty good. hopin for 47#@ 28 now... i think 50 might be out of reach. here we are with 5" brace and 40#@ 23"

not such extreme reflex now is it?!

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: June 06, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
so, now that i got nice even tiller (says the gizmo and my own novice eyeball anyway) should i just keep pulling and checking and tweak it here and there where needed... till i get to 28.... or should i hit the tips with the scraper to get them bending a bit? I think i kinda like em static like this though... upsides and downsides? im all ears !

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: June 06, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
wait.. is there a flat spot mid limb on the right?

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: June 06, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
there was just a wee bit... i fixed it. here it is at 25"

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: June 06, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
47# @ 26"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©