Author Topic: My first osage stave! ... It is finished!!...  (Read 7120 times)

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first osage stave! ... It is finished!!...
« Reply #200 on: June 06, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
hey i might be shooting this thing in tomorrow!... unless its raining     :rolleyes:

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #201 on: June 06, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
6" brace, 49# @ 28"

took a little bit of set but the tips are still out in front of the bow.

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #202 on: June 06, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
Your left limb is stiffer - how much positive tiller are you going for, and how much do you have now?  Tiller looks pretty good overall, though.  I don't know if I'd do a whole lot more than maybe taking 2 scrapes off the inner third of the left limb (depending of course on your amount of positive tiller.)
Your fades do look pretty abrupt.  Next one, make them an inch or so longer than what you have.  That'll make a more gradual transition to help with the tiller, and also make it look sleeker.
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #203 on: June 06, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
Beautiful job, by the way!     :thumbsup:
Joe

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #204 on: June 06, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
I know it looks stiffer at brace, but it kinda almost acts weaker at draw if that makes sense. there is about 1/8" positive tiller at the moment, and thats fine by me.  my handle hasn't been shaped at all, so once that is thinned down it might make the fades look a little less steep. I know i made them on the short side of average, but i got talked out of 4" of ntn length, and it just made me feel better to have more working limb. I am going to refine the handle a little tomorrow, and hopefully my WB horn will be here so i can put the overlays on. hopefully can get the nocks done and a string twisted up and start shooting this thing in, see if tiller changes, and choose a top limb based on all that.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #205 on: June 06, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
actually, I think it only looks stiffer because it retained more of its recurve than the right limb did.. that would make sense right?

im not planning on it, but just for knowledge purposes... if i tried to do any straightening or adjustments with heat now it might screw up the tiller right?

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #206 on: June 07, 2013, 12:11:00 AM »
I suppose it depends on what kind of adjustment you're going to try, but probably yea.  Eh, just get 'er done and shoot it.  Kill something with it - it'll make you feel better.  Then make a couple hundred more  :)
Joe

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #207 on: June 07, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
im not going to do anything on this one, but i am kind of curious what would happen if i put it back on the form and tried to get the reflex back.  im guessing since it lost this much the first time, it would just lose it all again if i put it back in.  how much can you heat and cool and reheat the wood without causing some kind of weakening or fatigue?

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #208 on: June 07, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
Don't bother trying to get the reflex back, yep, you would just lose it again because you're not correcting the REASON it took the set. That little bit of set that it has taken ain't nothin. It'll take some more too before it's all over.

As far as the heating thing, I've heated and corrected the same area of a bow several times with no apparent ill effects. I usually do it for alignment purposes.

The only thing I see in the tiller is it looks a little stiff just outside the dips on the left limb.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #209 on: June 07, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »
Bowjunkie yeah I see that now, i will put a couple scrapes on that, left limb is stiffer anyway, so it can stand to lose a scrape or two.

safe to shoot it with shallow nock grooves in the sides only... and with my tillering string? (16 strands of B50 with one loop and a timber hitch)  I don't know if my horn will be here for the weekend.... actually... i won't be able to shoot much this weekend anyway... got to work and stuff.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #210 on: June 07, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
Looking great!
Very pretty lines.
   :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #211 on: June 07, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
best glue for horn overlays? I have several different ca glues.... gorilla glue blue cap being my favorite, also TB3 and unibond 800. which would you guys use or what else would you get?

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #212 on: June 07, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
I've read that CA glues work well.
I wouldn't use TB3.

I've used easton brand ca glue that I used for fletching carbons on two bows now. It's not quite "gel" thick.
But thicker than regular CA glue.

Had more than enough time to work with.
..BUT I haven't shot either of those bows yet so I can't speak of longevity.

I did take a piece of rough sanded osage and horn, lightly hacksaw toothed them and used the easton glue to glue them together.
I applied glue to both surfaces, and clamped up with spring clamps...use saran wrap..lol

The pieces didn't want to come apart when I took a hammer to it....until I got mean with it.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #213 on: June 07, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
It's called easton quick bond.

..probably not much different than other ca glues..but this is all I have experience with.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #214 on: June 07, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #215 on: June 07, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
yeah im pretty sure the gorrilla ca glue is going to be the best stuff that i have on hand.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #216 on: June 07, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #217 on: June 07, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
Yeah, you can shoot it with a timber hitch, no problem. I had a tillering string break on me one time while I was shooting in an osage selfbow, but it was the braided loop that broke due to wear i hadnt noticed... from sliding it over the corners of staves that hadn't been rounded over yet.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #218 on: June 07, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
Super glue gel is all I use anymore. Do not use two-ton epoxy or anything similar. A sharp whack or heat will loosen this type adhesive.........Art

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #219 on: June 07, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
I used to use urac, but have switched to gel super glue, which works wonderfully. I'd advise against titebond of any flavor for glueing horn.
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©