Author Topic: My first osage stave! ... It is finished!!...  (Read 7122 times)

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first osage stave! ... It is finished!!...
« Reply #220 on: June 07, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
well i will see how good i can get the glue joints and use super glue if i can... unibond if i need to fill a gap

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: June 07, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
is important to not overclamp things like risers and overlays. they require very little, if any, clamp pressure. I position the horn as fast as I can without gluing myself to the bow and put a piece of painters tape around it to hold it still until it dries. no clamps at all on the overlays. sorta kinda seems like the gel c/a glue fills gaps to a small extent, but I cannot swear to it.

I always drag my spare toothing iron, which has about a 1/16" crown across its width, freehanded on the wood before gluing. only the wood, not the horn. toothing iron indispendable for wood bowyery.
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: June 11, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
finally got my horn in yesterday afternoon. got it glued up last night and took the clamps off this morning. used gorilla super glue, and light clamping pressure.  they are on there good. i tried hard to pull one off.

oh, and this happened this weekend! unrelated but still important. Thats my 5 yo daughter Nylah, and she just finished her first 3d shoot with dad.  they gave her this old plaque they had.  she was super excited about it and has been carrying it around since. even took it to school.  she shot really good. hit more than half the targets on first try, and from a good 7 to 10 yds with her little hickory bow that she helped me make.         :clapper:    

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: June 11, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
Cool story about Nylah.

Sounds like she's pretty proud!    :thumbsup:  

That's GREAT!

That horn is going to look pretty!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: June 11, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
are the pictures showing up all skewed to you guys?  photobucket isn't playing right for me

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: June 11, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
There's a smiling girl!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: June 11, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
just the close up looks skewed..the 1st pic in the post

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: June 11, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
I guess it's Ok:)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: June 11, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
lol..

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: June 11, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
he just knows you're tougher than me.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: June 11, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
Nice job.  

Have you shot it yet?  I don't see how anyone can resist shooting a bow once it's mostly tillered and ready for finish work.  I am impatient as hell to get to that point.  And I am a patient man.  Plus, it's amazing how shooting a bow really tells the tale of tiller.  It can look completely awesome on the tree and if it shoots like crap, I ain't done.  I don't finish a bow, including adding overlays until it is shot in.  Like hundreds of shots.

You can shoot a bow with a tillering string of B-50.  I went a whole hunting season using one on a bow once.  All my strings for the first 10 years of making bows were an upper loop and a lower timber hitch.

As far as set, you are in great shape.  Anything less than an honest 2" total follow is fine. 1" or less is great.  Don't try to fix it after the fact.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: June 11, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
I have shot it a few times, and it shoots good. not loud, not much handshock at all. but i didn't want to put too much wear on my string by shooting with my nock grooves only cut in to the sides.  I nailed the length of my flemish string first try, that usually doesnt happen for me....so i figured id just get the tips on before i tore my string up. not to mention it has rained about 10" in the last couple of days.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: June 11, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
I already suggested to the guys that next sunday's 3d shoot be self bows only.... so i kinda have to get this done this week.   :laughing:

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: June 11, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
Like John, I shoot them about 200 times before I finish sand, dye, spray finish, apply leather grip etc. But my horn tips are usually installed before I begin tillering.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: June 11, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
had a few minutes when i got home to rough out the tips... now off to dance class.  will have it all ready to start shooting in tonight.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: June 11, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »
Looks classy already.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: June 11, 2013, 06:20:00 PM »
thanks man. you know i was surprised at how light and easy to work the horn is. thought it would be heavier and tougher. do you guys think there is still to much tip mass?

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: June 11, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
just got to do some sanding now.... both tips are pretty much done.

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: June 11, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
looks damn good
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: June 11, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
ready to shoot.  got everything pretty cleaned up with 220 grit. still a few tool marks here and there but i will get them.  taped on a floppy rest for now. (I don't shoot off the knuckle since i went to the ER with an inch of feather in my knuckle. once they work their way in you have to dig for em... and i just couldn't cut myself deep enough to get a hold of it)  hopefully its not pouring out again tomorrow. gonna try to put at least a hundred arrows through it, check tiller, finish sanding, check tiller again, shoot a hundred more, check tiller, couple coats of tru oil, leather handle wrap.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©