Author Topic: Built my BBI form..didn't work  (Read 5113 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Built my BBI form..didn't work
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
Ya got me Roy.
My heart sank.
And then a revival!...lol

The reason I tapered the ipe is because it did NOT want to go into the form. So I tapered it so I could get some bend in it.

I'm still a bit worried on the tip flip.
There's another thread on here talking about it with ipe.
seems it can be done, but sounds a bit touchy.
..I'm not so good with touchy things...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
Eric,

I can't explain it yet..
I know that's sounds insane.
But the fact is I tried to leave about a 16th or so around the bow.

Those digs look deeper than that.
I know it was late last night, but I just looked again this morn and things still look like they'll work.

I'll be double checking the whole deal again before proceeding.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
Thanks!

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
so you "tried" to leave a 16th... did you or didn't you?  haha whats the width of that boo boo in the boo?  if you are on thin ice you might want to use that other piece of boo. just position it so that nodes are equal distance from the tips, nevermind where they fall in the middle.  you want to leave plenty of extra until after glue up, because once you get all the glue on there and put them together they are going to slide around once the clamps come down.  you can minimize it though by wrapping in masking tape just to hold them in place.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
that is a good thought Eric.
It is tempting.

I'll have to study things a bit more before making a decision.

Thank you

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
LMAO...........  

It will be fine, John. Your going to rasp in facets on the back and belly edges of the bow anyway and that little oop's will get rasped away then. Your boo will be very thin there though but it should be fine. It looks to be 7 or 8 inches from the tip so that part of the limb won't/shouldn't be bending much at all. You want to keep the last 7 or 8 inches of the limb tips  fairly stiff.
Was I wrong in thinking you want to get the boo as thin as possible?

Also..my boo is tapered in thickness.
Is that correct?
Or is it supposed to be the same thickness at the crown all the way?..which of course will keep the edges at the tips thicker.
I have a spare pc of boo..and I'm not afraid to use it..lol

Thank you much.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
maybe my ratio would be better with thicker boo?
hell I don't know..    :knothead:

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2013, 06:22:00 PM »
hell all you had to do was do exactly what i did! but noooo.... had to try and get fancy....    :laughing:

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2013, 01:37:00 AM »
I can't help it.
I always gotta add my thoughts to something..for better or for worse.

Yeah..I just hope it's fancy..lol

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2013, 01:39:00 AM »
I ended deciding to work down another boo back, and just see which I liked better.

The second one was better.
Figured out a better way to situate the nodes then the first time I looked at it.
Ends up I'll be able to trim two of them right off when I do the tips.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2013, 01:43:00 AM »
Did a dry run tonight..
Learned a few things while doing it.
..where clamps have to go..where c-clamps were needed...if I indeed had enough clamps..lol

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2013, 01:57:00 AM »
Then I just couldn't keep myself from going the rest of the way..lol

I roughed up the pcs with a hacksaw blade.
Mixed up the glue unibond 800.
I used 100gms liquid and 10 grams powder..seemed to be about right.

So I slathered the stuff on.
Not near as messy as I was expecting.
Not as slippery either..the lams didn't slide around as much as I thought they would.

Didn't get any pics of the gluing.
I was concentrating pretty hard on what I was doing as this being my first time gluing anything like this.
Anyway..here's the proof..

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2013, 03:41:00 AM »
Of course..the suspense is killing me.
much...MUCH worse than knowing a bow is in the mail..lol

So I gotta ask..
How long till I get to unwrap it?..12 hrs?..24 hrs?

Thanks

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2013, 06:06:00 AM »
i did mine at night before bed... took it out the next day after work.... so .... 20 hrs or so..... make sure its warm enough whereever it is..... you may need to build a SWTR. looks good man. looks good.  you worry me going so fast though! took me several weeks to get to glueup.  but i see you got all manner of power tools going on there.  my lack of power tools may have been a blessing for my first bow.  forced me to go slow.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2013, 06:08:00 AM »
hey wait a sec.... weren't you going to do a power lam? is it in there?

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2013, 08:11:00 AM »
:scared:     :eek:    :scared:

:knothead:    :help:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
Your first boo was fine. You want it very thin.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
Like I was saying earlier..you are a busier man than I Eric.
I've just been able to work on it from about 9pm till 3am one night. And from about 9pm till 1am last night. ...and still get few hrs sleep before taking the kids to school.
So I have some time in it..
...I'm not really cheatin...lol

I've been lucky enough to be able to use a building where I used to help make Megalogs....they're like REALLY big lincoln logs.

There isn't much there to use..but the space is nice.
and I had permission to turn it up to 80˚!
There's a cut off saw, table saw...and a dual drum planer sander..
I had to figure out how to paper those drums..bit of a trick to that..lol

That big thing behind the jig is a "home made" gang dado saw for making the slots in the logs.

OH and my trusty ryobi belt/disc sander..

I did miss using the hand plane though.
Lots of hand sanding with a block though on the boo..lots..so I got my hands dirty..lol

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »
Thank you for the time rec.
Let's see..1am Wed...1am Thurs..

Should be able to get to it Thurs..maybe in the morn...

...And thank you...
I do have a power lam stuck in there...good catch..lol

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Your first boo was fine. You want it very thin.
Thank you Roy.

The new one is almost as thin..still knife edge..or just a literal hair from it. But I didn't get it too thin at the spots around the nodes like a few spots were in the first.

Just the new one didn't have the "oops" in it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©