Author Topic: Built my BBI form..didn't work  (Read 5106 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Built my BBI form..didn't work
« Reply #180 on: May 17, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
So Moso boo is crap?

Is that the same as what may have been pronounced "mooshoo"
when I bought it?

You're not gonna hurt my feeling any.

I'd actually like to know what type is best..and why..if ya have a minute.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: May 17, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
no, and yes. not all Moso bamboo is created equal, much like any typical bow wood. some is fantastic, some is worthless. is hard to know for sure unless you get it from a reputable source who knows where and how it is grown, and what to look for upon visual inspection. quality Moso is getting harder and harder to come by.

for that reason I went looking for something new. I don't think I'll be using Moso any longer as my supplier no longer sells the high quality stuff because they cannot get it. I found something else that is, at very least, as good as premium Moso, perhaps better. I just finished four bows in the last month or so with this new bamboo, and I'm very impressed so far. it's the real deal, I think.
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
Yeh I second fixing the longitudinal cracks with CA glue. I had one pop up a good splinter and that was fixed pretty quickly with CA and that bow is wtill fine knock on wood.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Thanks for the info J.F...even if ya didn't spill the beans...lol
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Thank you for the good ideas everyone!
   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: May 17, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
Thanks for the info J.F...even if ya didn't spill the beans...lol
Ya that just wasn't right, Jamie:)

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: May 18, 2013, 07:10:00 AM »
truth is, I'm ecstatic with what I've got, but time is the last and most important test. don't want to let the cat outta the bag until I'm more sure that I'm on to something, but so far, so good. I've been working on this for over a year now. got my first shipment of green poles in March of 2012. split, dried, graded by me, and now that it is on the backs of some bows, I can put it to the real test. eventually, I'm hoping to get it into the hands of people who want quality bamboo backing. not really availible in quantity, however.  

I'll have some for sale at the OSTA State shoot in Willard, OH (north central) Labor Day weekend. perhaps before then if there is interest.
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: May 18, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
It's new to me that there could be a big difference between bamboo varieties... but really.... everything is new to me!  i guess i just thought it all depended on how it was cared for.

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: May 18, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
The bamboo that I used on my BBO came from a seller on the big auction site who advertised it as Moso.  I was happy to see that the nodes were spaced about 11" apart so I didn't have them close to the tips.  I've noticed a small, very thin splinter in the center of the lower limb now, though.  Seems fine since I CA glued it and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Put me down as another one who is interested in finding a supplier of the good stuff.
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: May 18, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »
takefive i lifted a splinter in in my bbi, and i superglued it and sinew wrapped it. its been fine for 1000+ shots since then.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: May 18, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
that bow looks awesome  so far good job     :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: May 18, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
since we've rather hijacked this thread, I'll start another to continue on with bamboo discussion. there appears to be a need for it.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: May 19, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
what's going on with that bow over there? you have had all weekend to get it strung! what gives?!

Offline Draffish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: May 19, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
all this talk of bamboo splinting scared him lol    :laughing:    hope its all going well talking of bows wheres your osage at eric
live free die young

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: May 19, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
naw guys...
I just got home..
It's been on my mind CONSTANTLY.

My girl's had a full day of Dance/gymnastics recitals yesterday..
They also had a half day of it today...but I went to the Blessing of the bikes in Baldwin with some buddies today.

I should be able to get some stuff done tomorrow.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: May 19, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
my osage is slow! got the ring chased for about half the stave. will keep ya posted.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: May 19, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
Those navy boys don't know how to do a days work here ... can't even scrape down a bow. I'm obviously just messing with you. I'm gettting very little done here either ... just trolling Tradgang ...  its sad really.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: May 21, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
Yeah Eric those pin knots sound like a pain man..

Well I haven't gone completely stagnant on the bow.
Just been really hard to find time to work on it when I felt my mental state was ready...that's a trick in itself.

But it's coming.
Still need to sand the edges a bit to the lines..mostly at the last 10" or so. And contour the tips.

I didn't know what to do with the horn.
I know it's long. But my boo is so thin I was afraid if I used a standard angle I wouldn't have enough boo between the ipe and horn.
So I'm just hoping to keep the tips stiff..we'll see.

Here's where I'm at...

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
what is your handle made of?

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
macassar ebony.
Not the nicest looking piece.

I wanted something dark that was dense to help add a little weight to the bow and absorb a little bit of the vibes.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©