Author Topic: Built my BBI form..didn't work  (Read 5101 times)

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Built my BBI form..didn't work
« Reply #220 on: May 23, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
i've only touched one piece of ipe as well, guess im lucky it was a good one.  to be honest yours doesn't look any different in the pics... cameras play tricks though i guess.  i would say osage would probably be a strong safe bet for another attempt.  i know it might be a bit more expensive, but.... You need a bow bro! Its time to start for real practicing for hunting season.  I have kinda let bow building get in the way of bow shooting, but im picking up a rinehart woodland buck tomorrow, and im going to bring my ladder stand out of the woods and set it up in the yard and get to work.  need to get some arrows broadhead tuned for the BBI... cause thats my bow for this year.  shot my glass centershot bow the other day, just because it's arrows have bright fletching, and i was shooting moving targets in the woods...... man... that bow just don't feel right anymore!  for one thing i would have to re-calibrate my sight picture to shoot it as accurately, and it just... is missing something.... doesn't feel as snappy or something.... don't get me wrong, its a good deal faster than the BBI, but doesn't feel as good. wow im on a tangent.. forgot what thread i was on lol! anyway yeah... i would try osage.... actually i really want to try something like takefive's tri-lam..... but that has got to be trickier.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: May 23, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
I'm not doing a stave.

But a bbo might be fun.

My PL is/was osage.
First time I'd ever seen unfinished osage.
It really is a beautiful wood.
Even though I'm not all that excited about yellow.

I hear UV changes the stuff.

Wonder what an hour in a tanning booth would do.   :cool:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: May 24, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
Honestly, these pictures I took in my basement don't do justice to the wood.  In the sunlight it looks more gold than yellow with different shades of golden brown mixed in.  The quarter sawn one just about shimmers.  You can always stain it to make it darker, too.  I put a light coat of Minwax Golden Oak and sealed it with satin poly on the osage from my tri-lam.  I didn't stain the quarter sawn one, put 4 coats of amber shellac on it instead.  Before I worked with it, I could not fathom what all the fuss over osage was about.  I mean, I could buy 5 hickory boards for the cost of just one osage board.  I get it now.  When you see your finished BBO gleaming in the sunlight, I bet you'll be a believer, too    :archer:

It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: May 24, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
Osage will darken to a honey brown in just a couple weeks if you put it in a sunny window.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: May 24, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
Get some osage from Pine Hollow Longbows(sponser).Its very good wood and not that pricy. Then you can saw it into several billets and join them with a scarf joint to make your length.His osage rough boards are about 40" long so two strips make a bow board.   :thumbsup:  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: May 24, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »
It's going to happen.

I know what you're saying Eric.
..it is getting to be time to be set and just practicing..not still figuring out things..

Oh well.

Good news though...I just got a line on a better jig base.
Not dealing with a 2x4 on the next one..lol

I don't want you guys to think I'm bad mouthing ipe.
I'm not really turned off by it.
I just think I need to learn more about wood and bow making in general.

To be honest, I truly think being able to see a pencil line sooo much easier on the osage will be really nice.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: May 24, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
want a hophornbeam stave? it is freshly cut so you would need to speed dry it. no ring chasing. just pay shipping... let me know.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: May 24, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
Thanks for the offer Eric.
Very generous of you.

But I think I just sold some stuff that will let me give it one more try with a bbo or maybe a bbi.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: May 24, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
You're sure they were chrysals? it just seems so odd it chrysaled at such a low draw length. I mean even pine should have survived that much working.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: May 24, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
yep.
deep too.
Had one that was next to the edge..went about 1/3 thru.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: May 24, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
I'm personally amazed it didn't show up in he handle section right out of the jig.

who knows..I'm not going to worry about it.
I very well may cut the ebony off and save that for later.

Might use the limbs for some kind of wall hook/rack.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: May 24, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
just sent pine hollow some $$$.

Should have a new project soon..
First step is building a new jig... a solid jig..pretty sure my 2x4 (pine) wasn't up to the task.
     :thumbsup:

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: May 24, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
nice! what did ya get? i just learned of a local cabinet shop that has exotic and fine woods. going to go check it out once my account recovers from my rinehart deer target    :biglaugh:

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: May 24, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
Those are pricey...but I hear they're very nice.

The BBO kit.

Kinda funny..sold one of my Hoyt Vipers all set up with a release, arrows and B-heads basically even up for the cost of the kit.

Going to start working on the new jig in the next couple days.
this baby isn't going to flex.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: May 24, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
just get another two by four and glue & screw it to the bottom of your form.... or get two more and "I-beam" it if you really want to go overboard.

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: May 24, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: May 24, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
How would you do that VB?.
...very carefully seems a likely an answer...lol

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: May 24, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: May 24, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
John, buy a 1 inch thick by 6 feet long, by 6 inch wide Oak board. Then buy two, one inch by 6 feet long pieces of angle "iron", not aluminum. Mount the angle iron along the long sides of the oak board, bolt it every 12 inches with 1/4 inch bolts and place washers and lock washers on the wood side, do not  use screws. It will never flex on you.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: May 24, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
John you said "ONE of my Hoyt vipers"...... do you mean to tell me you got a compound you ain't sold yet?!  I listed my less than one year old $1000 compound less than two months after I picked up my first stick bow.  luckily i got 800 for it so i didn't take a huge huge loss.  had to do it to really get my foot in the door making wood arrows and all the other expenses that come with this hobby of ours. Im all for ya selling your wheelie bows! just hate to think about you over there breakin boards with no stickbow to shoot!    :laughing:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©