Author Topic: osage mamba**(finished pic)**  (Read 433 times)

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
osage mamba**(finished pic)**
« on: May 11, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
Any tips on trying to straighten this premo osage stave..LOL!The handle area is what im really concerned with.Im thinking lots of heat and park my truck on it!LOL!Im going to try to put grease, heat and clamps to it in the morning.We'll see what happens.    

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: osage mamba**(finished pic)**
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Ya prolly want to reduce it closer to bow shape before trying. The thinner the wood the easier to straighten. Those are awesome thick rings.

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
Roy i thined it more after this pic was taken.(its actually down to two rings now)Its starting to bend a little at floor tiller.Its a little under 1/2" thick and 1.5" wide at this point.I may need to thin it a little more before trying to straighten it.The handle area is quite snakey im not sure how or if this will work out.We'll see.Scott

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
I did a step by step build along last year or the year before for the trade bow I built that was as crooked a bow stave you have there. Do a search.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
Don't be skeered, Scott:) Patience and go slow.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
For stuff that is really kinked in the handle that I know will crack when I straighten it I cut the stave into billets, realign and glue it back together straight.

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
X2 on cutting and glueing back together.

you will give up about 4" to the splice, so if you have enough length to do it, you can make some very nice adjustments to a stave by doing what Eric suggests. straighten up the side to side crookedness as well as introduce some backset. works equally well with board stock. lots of osage boards been whacked in two and spliced back together in my shop to make a nice bow out of what was otherwise a large osage boomerang.   :thumbsup:
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys.Eric that crossed my mind.Seems like that would be a good fix for crooked wood.But ive already got it greased,heated and clamped in the cull.Dont know if it will hold shape or not.This is my second osage bow build.the first one was for the very first bow swap.It was quite crooked but not as bad as this on in the handle area.Ill keep you posted weather it works out or not.Thanks again,Scott

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
Well it looks pretty good as far as staraighting goes.string tracks center of the handle.I had to clamp and heat it twice.While attempting to remove a twist aprox. ten inches before the tip I had one spot for some reason make a deep dent in the belly i thought it was just my thin block of wood smashing under the clamp that i had place there to keep from marking the wood.Well it wasent it was the osage.And it took very little pressure to do it.Before any one asks i did not have my foot on the clamp LOl!It made a rather deep dent in the belly.(i know moist heat will raise it but i was afraid it might weaken it more than the dent already has)Im ready for the short string and i havent eliminated it yet so its pretty deep.Well see what happens.If it holds up ill post some pics.Scott

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 12:57:00 AM »
So far so good.This is my Dad drawing it for the pic.Dad and i shot around 250 arrows through the mamba over the last couple of days.Im happy with it.And the main thing is Dads happy with it!I put the first coat of tru oil on this evening.It may not be perfect but if you look at the before pic,it was allmost fire wood in my book.LOl!Thanks for looking, Scott..By the way the tiller looks much better in the tillering tree.I dont know if its the angle of the pic or Dad slightly canting the bow.And the tips came out naturally "flipped"(reflexed).So i cant take credit for that.Ill post a pic of it just strung after the finish is on.    

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 01:47:00 AM »
Looks great! Well done

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 01:57:00 AM »
Nice.  Congrats!   :thumbsup:
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
Good job.   Cool bow

Tiller looks fine but I think I would get the mid to outer limb on the upper bending a bit more.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »
recently , when i tiller, from about 75% done onwards, i use photographs to check the tiller balance, as many times when i get it perfect on the tree, it doesnt match me!!no matter how much i try and simulate my grip and draw with the tree.

it really looks great- well done!!

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
Fujimo I know exactly what your saying.Ive heard of people shaping there grip before doing the final tiller.Thay way they can place the pressure point more twords the actual spot it would likely be in your hand.Im with you.My hand is shaped nothing like the top of my tillering tree.LOl!

Offline scottm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
Here is the finished product.Again thanks for looking,Scott

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
Beautiful bow, Scott!   :archer:

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 03:07:00 AM »
Done yourself proud with that un. Very nice.

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
Love the profile with the flipped tips.  Looks great    :thumbsup:
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
That is a great looking bow! You did a fine job on a crooked stick. The r/d profile is beautiful.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©