Author Topic: Actionboo question  (Read 232 times)

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Actionboo question
« on: May 12, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
working on making some lams, and have a few questions, I have been using actionboo lams that I have bought and like them. my questions are.
I would like to get some to saw up and grind into lams.
What exactly is actionboo ?

where is a good source to get it ?

I have read about using bamboo flooring, I have some but it does not look to be the same material, I can see the nodes in it, and it seems to be a little lighter in color.

Thanks for your help guys.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Actionboo question
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
David,

Actionboow is vertical laminated bamboo flooring or counter top/shelving material.

What you have is most likely horizonal laminated bamboo flooring. More commonly called Lamboo. You can find this flooring in most any flooring section of the major type building supply box stores.

As for the color? Most of the bamboo flooring comes in two styles. Natural (the light colored) and caramelized (the light to medium brown color).

It's just my own opinion, but I think the natural yeilds the better lams. I seem to get more consisant weight bows when I use it.

As for where to get it? Just check with your local flooring store instead of the big box stores. If they don't have it in stock they most likely can get it.

Troy
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »
what I have runs lengthwise if the flooring (or the limb) so would that be the Vertical?
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
Both types will have bamboo that runs the length wise. Make a clean cut on one end of the board to remove the toung or grove and look at the end of the board. If the pieces of the bamboo run from top to bottom and are on average 1/4" or less in width it's vertical. If you look at the end of the baord and can see three or more layers with the pieces approx. 1/2" wide per layer it's horizonal.

On most horizonal boards only the top and bottom layer are good material. The inter layers will often have glue filled voids and bad material in them.

I've used both and have stopped buying the horizonal due to the wasted interlayers.
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
(nwbamboo.com) Vertical stair risers. About 7 1/2" x 72" x 3/4" natural or carmalised.  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
thanks guys.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©