Author Topic: staining glass ?  (Read 307 times)

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
staining glass ?
« on: May 12, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
Is it possible to stain over glass to darken light colored limbs ? I'd like any thoughts you might have. The Finnish has been removed to the bare glass.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline MoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: staining glass ?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 04:32:00 AM »
If stain/dye is all the same that wont work- the epoxy bound fibres won`t suck up the liquid. I can`t even imagine after real rough sanding.
But you can give it try on a scrap piece of glass...

Offline dfrois

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 07:21:00 AM »
I don't think I have ever heard or seen anything that would work like that on fiberglass. Your only chance may be a somewhat tainted varnish of some sort, that will stick to the fiberglass. Sort of transparent paint...but do as MoeM says, try it before on a piece of scrap, long enough for you to try to bend it after the varnish is dry, to see if it will crack or jump out of the surface.

Good luck.

DF

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
I do not think stain will work, or work well.

I would suggest trying paints like epoxy based paints. They should bond to roughed up glass. Only question is whether the paint will crack when the bow bends.

Others may have more insight on this but I'd think more thinner coats woudl be the way to go.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
I think black India ink works over black fiberglass? I seem to remember hearing that from a worker at Bear Archery about 15 years ago.

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I will probably do something different, like camo fabric backing and clear over it! Thanks !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
A couple of times when my clear glass came out with several blemishes I painted the  glass.  I roughed up the glass a little more than when applying finish and put on light coats of spray paint followed by my regular finish.  Looks pretty good  and seems to be standing up well.  Next time I might try some green paint or another color to attempt to replicate the color of some the glass of the past.  Don't think the stain would work very well.

Offline pditto613

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
I have stained clear glass to darken it a little with the alcohol based gel stains.  It doesn't darken it a lot but it will  work.
"the older I get the better I was"

Offline pditto613

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
Come to think of it alcohol based leather stain might do it to.
"the older I get the better I was"

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
Try gel stain.
That's what I use on fiberglass doors.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©