Author Topic: What to do with these backs?  (Read 253 times)

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
What to do with these backs?
« on: May 13, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
Well I have these 2 hickory staves and both have back issues. the first one is one I got at ETAR last year and didn't notice this gouge in the back until I cut it to bow shape. Looks like it was dropped on something or the corner of an axe hit it. The second one is is a pignut hickory stave that has this big knot that will be in the middle of the limb. At first glance it looks like the knot has good wood with nice flow around it. However it looks like there is a lot of violation around this knot. Those who have dealt with more staves than I have, please let me know what is the best way to deal with them. Will rawhide deal with either of these or should I shave them down and put some backing on them.

Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What to do with these backs?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
You gotta get below that gouge.  That's ugly.

You could try to chase a ring on the stave with the knot.  I think I'd try that first and if it got too tedious, I'd decrown and back with hickory or boo.  Drill the knot out and plug it first if you decide to back it.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Thanks John.
I have a piece of boo that I was thinking of using on one of these, probably the gouged one as that is currently closer to a bow. I may take some time and start chasing a ring on the knotty stave. Other than that knot this is a real nice stave and the knot isn't even that bad, in a fair spot with lots of good wood around it.

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Tony, the one with the gouge I would decrown till I got below the damage, then back with a thin hickory back.  The one with the big knot I would handle as John suggests.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Dan, that is exactly what i am going to do. Already started cleaning the back off the gouge and will wait till I get some other projects done before starting the one with the knot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©