Author Topic: Gluing bocote  (Read 348 times)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Gluing bocote
« on: May 16, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
I'm planning a new bow, it'll be a one piece  wood bow, 4 lams, white oak, maple, maple, ipe. The belly lams will run up the fades. I'm considering using abocote riser block.

I'm wondering whether TBIII will bond sufficiently to bocote? I have never tried it before. Any experience?
I'd rather not have to buy/use a 2 part glue like urac or smooth-on. Mainly because I don't have a great work area and I will be sleeping on the streets if I get epoxy all over the floor.

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gluing bocote
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
Glue up outside... there problem solved!!! Unibond or urac works the best. Wouldn't trade it for anything else. Good Luck tho.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
Have you used Urac on Bocote?

I've never had a problem with TBIII but bocote seems to be a totally different beast than other hardwoods. Ipe, Jatoba, Shedua, maple, oak, bamboo, hickory, etc etc are no problem for normal TBIII.

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
Interesting post, I have glued up lots of bacote with Smooth on Epoxy, and after having watched lots of the posts reference different glue ups over that past months. Glue goes everywhere, even mine. So, I would say adequate preparation is the key. I wouldnt want to invest in a high dollar block of fancy wood and have it separate because it wasnt compatable with the glue. the only issue I ever had was being outside down here in the south with temps hovering around 97 in the shade. Trying to glue up a 6 lamination bow, and the working time on the glue is getting really close to being up...   :thumbsup:
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
Yes I used bocote before with urac and I never had any issues

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
thanks! exactly what I wated to know!

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Just ruff up the glue surface good right before glue up--smoothon or urac.
High on Archery.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
While we're at it, Has anyone had massive problems sanding bocote?

I keep getting really nasty gunk on the sanding belt ... pretty well runined a sanding disc as well. Any advice on how to stop this or how to get it off?

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
Get one of the belt sander cleaning bars.  I got mine at Lowes in the tool section its a 2X2X4ish inch piece of tanish rubber glued onto a paint stiring stick.  You might know what I'm talking about but while your belts running you just put it on the belt and it cleans it out.  It really extends the life of the belts.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 06:34:00 AM »
Use more aggressive sandpaper and you won't have as much problems. Bocote is quite easy to work with as long as it is dry.

If you want it to turn out, I'd use a proven glue and find a way to make it happen. Or...you can try something else and let us know how painful it was (either physically or financially  :)   )
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
I appreciate the advice Jim. You're obviously right, I should be going the proven route not trailblazing. I'm ordering some Unibond800 and maybe some resorcinol if I can find a reputable supplier with fresh stock.

Might bother canopyboy to go use his bow oven/shop in the coming weeks and just use some Smooth-On for the bocote. That seems to be the extra safe route.

In the meantime, I think I'm going to glue the bow up with a riser block of Shedua because I know that will work out.

The bocote will have to wait for some proper glues and maybe some bamboo backing as well ... Maybe my bocote isn't sufficiently dry as well. I'll stick it in the stave drying box for a while and see ...

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
I've had about 2 pcs of bocote that never got dry enuff to not plug paper.

Like Jim said, if dry it "usually" works very nicely!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
I have a feeling I may have a trouble piece of this stuff. I'm using a 50grit belt, and i've had this wood for at least a year inside with humidity generally very low .... maybe it will just have to become a giant pile of tip overlays or something ....

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
I have talked to a few guys that said the oily woods like bacote and cocobolo sometimes move after glueing. I think some has higher oil content than others. It amazes me that the glues even hold it together.
High on Archery.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
If they are moving, they are not dry! or your not using smooth on or comparible glue.

How big of a block? how dry when you put it inside? It can take a very long time for a 2"x3" block to dry to a usable state from a fairly moist state....Put it back in the humidity for any length of time and it will absorb moistue again.
bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©