Author Topic: toasting or heating belly on board bow  (Read 356 times)

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
toasting or heating belly on board bow
« on: May 16, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
Ok I have been working on a board bow the past 2 weeks and its done and I think its a shooter after 15 years of trying..well the specs are 66" nock to nock with 1/2" tips and tapering to 2" at fades with a 8" handle..I did nocks today and shaped handle some and started on limbs which were 1/2" thick and expecting at least 50# at my draw but came out to 40#@26"..I left 6" at tips of non bending and 1" past riser non bending at fades..I lightly scrape limbs to get rid of bandsaw marks and got limbs bending to long string then 2" brace then I put on scale at at 6" it was 35# so I use gizmo 2 times to get good bend with excercising limbs in between scrapes..next thing I know its 40# @26" and it had 1/8" positive tiller so I stop....well when I layed board out it had 1" of reflex but now it has 2" of string follow so my main question is can I toast or heat belly and make it straight or add couple inches of reflex...will I get it to increase poundage and Im sure I will have to re tiller..is it possible and will it be smart to do to increase weight.....I am envious of you guys that can make pretty handles and nocks as I suck..LOL
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: toasting or heating belly on board bow
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
You can do it but don't expect miracles.  Here's one I did a while back:   http://sticknstring.webs.com/fixit.htm
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
thank you John...good read...might just finish it up and move on to the next one and chalk this up as a lesson..now if I can get some osage that will be my next goal  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 07:55:00 AM »
Not to hijack the post, but weren't you afraid of the backer coming loose when you applied the heat, John?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
I've heat treated a few red oak bows, and it seems to work pretty well. It does take forever though. I figured it usually takes me at least an hour of heating. Probably more on a bow of that size. That hour would get you pretty well along into the next bow ...

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
It was a veneer back so I wasn't worried at all. Plus what did I have to lose?
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 12:23:00 AM »
I see what you mean. I got a couple of backed bows I'd like to heat treat, but been scared to try it for fear of the backer turning loose.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
I assume the OP used a Red Oak board???  He doesn't say the wood species used...  If Red Oak was used, it is a species that doesn't respond the same to heat tempering as does hickory and some other common bow wood species. (However there are other considerations too.)

If you are hoping the bow will lose some of it's string follow from the heat treatment, it's not very likely, especially with Red Oak at least in my experience.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 12:15:00 AM »
For those worried about the backer releasing when heat treating:  Usually the glue will not release it's bond unless you stress the joint and/or try to force the bond to break.  (Now I have to admit that I have not tried to use an oven to heat treat a bow yet, so I can't say if something might go awry if you use an oven...)  BUT if you just use a heat gun or torch, I have never had the backer or glue bond fail yet and all I've built so far are all-wood laminated bows.

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
Thanks for the info, Eric. That may prove to be useful in the future.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
Start another. Let me get this straight. This is your first shooter after 15 years of trying. You got a bow. Congratulations! Now you want to make it better and mess with it? If it ain't broke don't fix it! Jawge

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »
Yep first shooter. Shooting ok but some hand shock  and I'm starting another but I guess I can't learn unless I break a few. LOL
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©