Author Topic: self bow books  (Read 344 times)

Offline MikeEvans

• Trad Bowhunter
self bow books
« on: May 23, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
Would like to get yalls opinion on the best how to book on the market on how to build a self bow from a stave. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: self bow books
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
the traditional bowyers bible.... wish i had all the volumes.... pricy.  been meaning to get " the bent stick " by paul comstock..... sposed to be good.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
I've got to give the nod to Dean Torges' book Hunting the Osage Bow because it covers building my favorite style of hunting bow, a short, balanced, durable osage selfbow, from tree selection through the entire process, to applying the finish.

Prior to making my first selfbow, I had never even seen one in person, and with Dean's book as my only reference, my first bow was a success, as was my second and third and....

My heart goes out to the many new bowyers makin and breakin bow after bow after bow, because it's really not the necessary 'initiation' into bowmaking many make it out to be.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
Yep, The Traditional Bowyer's Bibles are great references as well.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
Trad Bowyers Bibles....get them all.

Bent Stick by Paul Comstock

Then also this site from Murray Gaskins....great info on building bows from alternative bow woods....hickory, mulberry, etc.

http://www.murraygaskins.com/abw.html
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Hunting the Osage Bow - Dean Torges (bowyersedge.com)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
The Bent Stick and the Bowyer's Bibles are terrific.  I look something up in volumes 1 and 4 almost on a daily basis.  Well worth the money.
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 07:09:00 AM »
if I had to pick one, it's Hunting the Osage Bow by Dean Torges. I use it like a text book when I have newbies in my shop.
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »
Look into the book "The Art of Making Selfbows.  Best book out there explaining a lot that others don't.  It is by Stim Wilcox.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
These are the bow making books that have impacted my early efforts.. Waldorf's "The Art of Making Primitive Bows and Arrows", Jay Massey's "Primitive  Archery", Comstock's the Bent Stick, and the Bowyer's Bibles 1. Torges' book, Wilcox's book and others are wonderful books but by the time they came out I was already making and hunting with  selfies and so I will leave it at that. I think Massey's book is now out of print which is a pity. For a starter book it is hard to find a better book than Comstock's.  Jawge

Offline k-hat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
Yup i'd say if funds are an issue, start with Bent Stick, all the info you need to get started.  When you're ready to begin work on your selfbow degree   ;)  invest in the Bowyer's Bibles as mentioned.  do lots of research on this site as well!
Kevin

"he hath bent his bow, and made it ready . . .his arrow shall go forth as the lightning" - Psalm 7:12, Zech. 9:14

Offline TimBoA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
I like The Bent Stick, Bowyer's Bibles, and Hunting the Osage Bow, and would probably like the others mentioned already if I had them.  One thing about the Torges book - if you enjoy being very thorough you will like it, but I think it can be intimidating to some (myself definitely included), especially the chapters describing the steam tube and hot box.  My best bow so far mostly followed the Torges method, but without the steam and heat.  It's a great book.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©