Author Topic: dust collection ..... what about this idea?  (Read 633 times)

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
dust collection ..... what about this idea?
« on: May 31, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
just sittin here blowing yellow snot out my nose... and looking at dust collection systems on grizzly and other websites.     :biglaugh:    what can you guys reccomend for a home workshop.  right now im just running a 14" bandsaw and a disc/belt combo sander.... will probably add a couple tools along the way... a router table and maybe a drum sander.... spindle sander... i don't know.. you get the idea.  I will probably be building one bow at a time for... probably forever i guess.  can't / don't want to spend more than a couple hundred bucks unless i just really really need too.... but there is ipe and osage dust in every nook and cranny of my basement... and that just ain't gonna fly!

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: dust collection ..... what about this idea?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
I run my Harbor freight 1 HP outside my shop..I built a cyclone first stage out of a 33 gallon galvanized garbage can and some elbow fittings found at Lowes..I took a couple of hose fitting with me to insure proper fit..I wear a respirator ever time I cut or sand..you may have to put yours in a closet for containment.the cyclone catches 99% of the dust.the dust that passes thru the bag is the scary stuff..that's why mine is outside

Offline MoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 05:25:00 AM »
If I was in the US I would for sure sure buy one of these "dust deputy" cyclones. They are so great for seperating parts before the suction/filterunit.
Unfortunatly here they are not that easy to get and quiete expensive...

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
I have a 2hp Griz. It sounds like a B-17 taking off when it runs. To have a little peace and quiet in my shop I mounted it in a room adjacent to my shop. I run my vacuum lines through the wall and use a wireless push button remote start switch to turn it on from my work bench.

It does a good job, gets about 95% of the dust my power tools generate. I have a pick-up port on my work bench for rasping and sanding collection. The port gets the fine, airborne dust but not the big stuff my rasp generates.

My piping leaks a good bit at joints and gate valves but I still get plenty of suction to do the job. I followed the grounding directions for my piping to keep static electricity at bay.

I will occasionally have a stoppage in my branch lines that I have to clear out, almost always when I am either sanding bamboo on my belt sander or running green wood through my jointer.

The stoppage is always at the suction of the pump where there is a grate to stop large objects from getting into the pump and is easy to clear.

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
You want about 600 cfm per machine.  The 1hp only gives around 500 and the 1.5 give about 1200.  Get 1.5 or higher if you have the chance.  You can't beat Grizzly for value IMO.

Good luck!

Tenbrook

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
what about something like this:   http://www.lowes.com/pd_345878-70-PC400AP_0__?productId=3353544&Ntt=dust+collector&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Ddust%2Bcollector&facetInfo=

I know you get what you pay for and if money wasn't an issue id go with a real good one.... but do you think this would be worth the money to get me by for a while?

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
There is a dust collector available that can hang from the ceiling of your shop. It's purpose is to get the fine stuff out of the air. I don't have one, but it's on my list.
My dust collector is similar to the one on your link. The only difference is that mine has a 1.5 hp motor. It easily handles a 20 inch planer and I also use it to vacuum up my shop.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
The 1hp collector I have is advertised to move 914cfm..I don't know how accurate that is but it does pretty good pulling air thru the 33 gallon cyclone and 20 ft of 4 inch hose... a 2 HP would be 3 times better for sure

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
Eric, the cyclone I made takes out nearly all of the dust and all the big pieces before the grating at the motor. I have less than $40 in it. I think you make 1000 times more dust and chips than I do and could benefit from a nice cyclone system

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
Robertfishes I'm listening.... can you point me at how to make one?

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
When it comes to dust collection, more is always better. Get the best you possibly can.  :thumbsup:  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
I have this unit to clean the air of fine dust and a shop vac that I connect to my power tools, does a great job.
 http://www.grizzly.com/products/Hanging-Air-Filter-w-Remote/G0572

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »
Roy that looks like a good idea. maybe one day. think im gonna try out that cheapo from Lowes for now.  anything is better than the "clean it up later" technique im using right now.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
E, I am away from home now..but I posted a picture  of the cyclone lid on the "What did you do today?" Thread page 151 .it really works and i did not apply for a patent.....

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
Thanks Robert, will check it out

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
I tried a cyclone on my collector but it was a pain to hook up because of the way I ran my lines. I have plenty of power so I took it off run straight to my filter.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
as you can see I made the cyclone from a new 33 gallon galvanized garbage can. I put a rubber seal(weather stripping) in the lid and it pulls the lid tight when the collector is on. I could have made a gasket with silicone caulking but used the weather stripping. I bought some 4" hose and fittings at a Wood Craft store and took them to Lowes when I bought the can and other pieces I needed to make the Cyclone..not all 4 inch is the same.there is no hard piping in my system, my shop is pretty small so I only needed 20 ft of the 4" flexable tubing. The cyclone sits next to the collector and there is a 4ft piece of flex piping between them        

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
couldn't i just get a blower and pipe it to outside? i live out in the woods. im just going to dump the dust outside anyway.... so what do i need a fancy separation/filtration system for?  this just occurred to me. anyone else just blow their dust into the back yard?

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
anyone?

Offline dfrois

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
Can't see why it wouldn't work, for some time...however, the dust running by the motor will eventually get into it and ruin it, or, worse still, catch fire! Perhaps you could try clening the motor with compressed air every month or so, to stop the buildup of dust in the motor housing...That's what I would do in your position.

Another consideration is that wood dust is biodegradable, but fiberglass and plastic dust is not...

DF

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©