Author Topic: 1st BBO...The building of Halcyon  (Read 2940 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1st BBO...The building of Halcyon
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
Sorry guys.
Very busy the last few days.
Had to put some extra hours in at work so I could take some time off for family this weekend.

Just got back home.

I had a few mins Fri night to scrape on this one a bit.

Here it is with about as low a taught string I could get on it.

Same string at 4"

Then at 10"

If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »
What needs to be done now?

I'm thinking I need to get the limbs bending in a nice arc through the middle instead of still showing the reflex.

Is this correct?

Also, the whole right limb needs to be weaker as I think there is a hinge right at the fade for some reason.
...and of course the left will need to follow in suit.

What I'm really worried about is where I need to get the limbs bending more in order to get it to correct brace.

Thanks!!!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
It is a little hard to tell how far the tips are moving.
It looks like it is time to move to about 4 inches of brace.
Exercise it some more then.
See if what you have been seeing is confirmed.
Adjust tiller
Then to 6 inch brace. Then after some,exercise you should have a,better idea how your doing.

Yes you do,keep removing wood through the r/d area till,it,starts,bending,more.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
key word here is think... but I THINK that everything looks golden. if you look at picture 1, 2, and 3 over and over... the deflex isn't changing that much. most of the bend is taking place by uncurling the reflex. I'd say its pretty even bend through out the limb... and another couple inches on the long string and i would brace it at about 3 or four inches.  you already know my experience level, so take all that with as much salt as you need.  remember the shorter string is going to put more stress toward the tips than the long string... so they tell me.  Looks really good to me.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
"I'm thinking I need to get the limbs bending in a nice arc through the middle instead of still showing the reflex.Is this correct?"

That's not what I would try to do. Your reflex is contained in a relatively small area of mid-limb, with the limb appearing flat to either side of it. Were the limbs tapered in thickness prior to glue up? If you try to bring that drastic reflex around too soon, it'll end up too thin/weak there. That bow might still show reflex at brace, and may make it to full draw before it becomes the perfect arc of a circle... if ever. If you want the reflex to be a nice arc, what do want the flatter areas to either side of it to become?

The thing is, you want the whole limb to work... when it does, flat areas will become arcs, deflex will bend more, and reflex will flatten out, and maybe eventually show arc too, but initially, this early, don't try to make the reflex come around yet.

Rather than try to achieve a perfect arc(not the best tiller shape for all bows), I would ensure my thickness tapering was accurate, then keep working the limbs down the tree without drawing more than target weight, maintaining limb timing. When I get the limb tips 9-10" behind the handle, brace it and see what she looks like.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2013, 12:37:00 AM »
Thank you for the great insight guys!

The limbs were pretapered in thickness.

they were 1/2" out 4" past the fade.
Then tapered to 3/8" tips

Thanks again!
   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2013, 12:11:00 AM »
Well I got a bit of work done on it tonight..

Lots of scraping here and there trying to get things bending in the right places.

The reflex does take some head scratching to try to figure out..lol
Here's the progression through the night...
Each pic was after doing some more scraping and then working the limbs 40-50 times.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »
And this is where I've left it for the night..

It's getting close..but still has a way to go.

I'm shooting for 45-50# @28"
Right now it's 43#@23"

I'm not sure exactly how to proceed here..

At brace, the right midlimb to tip looks like it needs scraping
But  at 23" I think it's a little straight on the left from the middle out 8" or so.

If you gents see something please let me know..
Thank you for your help so far guys!

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2013, 06:14:00 AM »
you gotta take your pictures from straight on.  I agree that midlimb out on the right limb is stiff.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »
I think if you're heading for 45-50# you're not far away.

at 2.5# per inch, you bow as it is would be like 55#@28". That only 5# outside of the target weight.

I think you just need to keep taking it slow, and tiller it out inch by inch, don't go over the 50# target at any point and you're doing well.

Remember, you will lose a few pounds through sanding and shooting in the bow. If you want 45-50# @28", better get it off the tree at 48-52# @28". losing two pounds is not much sanding and shooting in.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
Looks to me like you are doing well.....just keep sneaking up on it.....if you miss by a couple pounds don't panic....it's part of the learning process. I like it so far!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
At this point I would use a hand sander or sand paper on a flat piece of wood to,do any more tillering etc.
Look the limbs over in good light to see if there are,any slight dips or ripples on the belly.
This will slow you down a little but will hopefully avoid any areas that could cause problems.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2013, 09:41:00 AM »
You are doing great.  Just work the midlimbs, maybe 5 scrapes at a time to finish out the tiller.  You don't have to worry so much about weight.  It is going to be about perfect I'd guess.  If it turns out a little heavy, a few full length scrapes will let you dial it in.  Definitely finish tillering with it 3-5 pounds heavy.  It will settle in right at  your target.  I have never had BBOs show damage from pulling a few pounds over when you get to this point.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »
Looks very nice, John.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
Wow John!  Roy said it was nice!  Mine are always just "OK"

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
heck Eric..
Your's looked better.
He just doesn't like ipe..lol

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

I'm always waiting for someone with an experienced eye to give me disastrous news that I was oblivious to...lol

I really appreciate the help in how to proceed.

Seems tillering is like climbing a sharp peak.
Sorta hard to figure out which way to go sometimes.
Might have to do some extra work at times to get through.

....but be careful..if ya rush up the last few steps you just might trip and fall down the other side...lol

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
There's a lot of good teachers round these parts..lol

heck..Roy darn near gave me a blue print of how to lay this one out..lol

Then with the great posts like Eric's and other's build alongs with the pictures to fill in the gaps of the typed word..even an inept wood worker like me has a chance..lol

Then you get the experienced little pointer from John, Ben, Macbow, Bowjunkie and others buried in a post..kinda like searching for treasure.

You guys are great!
I just hope someday I'll be able to help out with someone's build...lol

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »
Ipe is love or hate ... I've never heard anyone hate osage ...

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
One thing I was just looking at..
I'm kinda surprised how thick the osage is on this bow.

The bbi's I've seen pics of look much thinner.
I know in general ipe is more stiff..just surprised of the difference.

This looks like it should be a 60# bow..or more.
Very anxious to put a couple arrows through it.
but I promised myself I wouldn't rush anything...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©