Author Topic: Kevlar cloth as bow backing?  (Read 405 times)

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
Kevlar cloth as bow backing?
« on: June 02, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
I've got a pile of Kevlar cloth scraps from a project here at the house-about 2" wide, some are near six feet long-and I wondered if they would be an acceptable backing for red oak, as that's the only wood I have here ready to work.  I want to make a wood backed bow out of my remaining board, but I noticed this lying around (and I'm poor, still waiting on disability hearing) and wondered if it would work, either as a backing by itself or as an inner layer to help a backed bow.  I sit and think a lot more than I sit and cut, so sometimes I happen on wild ideas.  Wondered if anyone had thought of it before.

I should mention that the kevlar is pretty heavy.  It was specifically chosen for the fact a single layer could stop any knife I own.  Didn't know if it would act more like denim at that point.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kevlar cloth as bow backing?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
hey Im from jasper too! in the Navy and stationed in CT but its cool to see someone from home on here.  dont know about kevlar for backing.... but i know its stong and doesnt give much stretch..... so it might be good. worth a try id think.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
My opinion. It will make a heavy backing by the time the glue is added. So I think it would make a bow sluggish.
Red oak isn't the best wood for backing.

I'd save that Kevlar for a,two piece bow project like Big Jim shows on his you tube video.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
Well, when you get home, I'm sure I can arrange a hero a free hunt out here on our land.  I tried to enlist Navy, but my heart's failing.  We're up 195 up against Bankhead, and behind us is reclaimed strip pit lake and heavy woods as well.  Rangers ask us to shoot the coyotes constantly, and ask us if we're getting deer, they're getting overpopulated.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
Thats very generous of you halfseminole, might have to give you a ring next time im down. even if it ain't season we could go shoot somewhere.... I have heard of an archery "park" in Culman... but i haven't been there. have you?

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
Nope, haven't been-this is my first bow I'm working on.  Haven't shot regularly since I was a kid.  I'm hoping this one even works.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
Oh well good luck then... have you thought about using rawhide for a backing? i haven't done it.. but i know th dogbones you can get anywhere are just rolled up strips of rawhide.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©