Author Topic: Backing question  (Read 408 times)

Offline jflars

• Trad Bowhunter
Backing question
« on: June 02, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
I'm new to bowmaking so bear with me. I worked up a red oak board and was trying for about 35 to 40 lbs but it turned to be about 25. I haven't backed it yet and was wondering what to do it with that might up the poundage. Is it possible to use formica and what would be the best choice of glue for that material?
 I have a piece left over from a counter top I resurfaced. The bow is 68 long and 1 1/2 at the fades. I intended to hunt with it but have to get it to 35 lbs to be legal. If I can't I'll just use it for target and to practice form. I have a bum bow arm/shoulder so I can't manage more than 40.  
  I've taken a few deer with a compound so to get one with a bow I have crafted would be the
ultimate challenge, besides I'm not too fond of the wheels and pulleys, trads are much much prettier.

Offline PebblePlacement

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backing question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »
Back with wood and re-tiller.
=>>>====> MW <====<<<=

Offline PebblePlacement

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »
A little goes a long way.
=>>>====> MW <====<<<=

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 08:09:00 AM »
I would back it with a 1/8th thick piece of Hickory. Use Unibond 800 glue. I would induce some reflex when gluing it up.

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
You may want to trap the back a little with hickory on red oak, though. Hard maple might be a little more forgiving, as far as compression stress goes.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
Start another to gain experience. Boards are inexpensive. Jawge

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
I agree with George. Start another one and concentrate more of each scrape so you don't over do it again.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
Formica would not work.  I highly recommend you get and read Volume 1 of the Traditional Bowyer's Bible, particularly the chapter on design. It will really help in understanding the qualities needed for good bow material.  

It is very common to miss weight on your first few bows.  Backing them is a bandaid.  It can work but while you're learning, it is best just to start another bow.  Go back later and make your mistakes better.  But for now, you will learn more just moving on.

Don't expect your first few bows to be good enough, shoot well enough and last long enough to hunt with, especially with red oak.

At the risk of offending its devotees, the best thing about red oak as bow wood is that it is cheap and available.  But so was this girl back in high school.  And I didn't marry her  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jflars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
Thanks everybody, appreciate the advice. I have a maple board to start another but just not sure if its hard maple. Is there anyway to tell like by making a dent. Anyway i'll put it away for now (red oak bow) and maybe fool with it later. It is kind of nice to shoot and very kind to my bad shoulder, it's probably a killer on chipmunks.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by John Scifres:

At the risk of offending its devotees, the best thing about red oak as bow wood is that it is cheap and available.  But so was this girl back in high school.  And I didn't marry her   :)  [/QB]
:D  I loved that one.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 11:05:00 PM »
If you got the maple at the big box store its soft maple. I don't think they carry hard maple.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©