Author Topic: Tillering problem  (Read 364 times)

Offline DrSockeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Tillering problem
« on: June 04, 2013, 01:27:00 AM »
I'm having problems with my tillering.  I have made a few selfbows out of red oak, my problem is they always come out very light, 20-30#.  I even tried one out of Osage, but it too came out very light.  Any advice would be appreciated.  By the way my Osage bows all cracked at pinhole knots.

Offline DrSockeye

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tillering problem
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 02:52:00 AM »
I've been using a 3" piece of wood to check my tiller, very hard to eyeball.  I'm going to make a gizmo tomorrow and give that a try.

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 04:59:00 AM »
The gizmo is awesome. It makes tillering a breeze. I'm betting using one will fix all your issues. Also remember, don't use the long string any longer than you have to. Get the bow to brace as quickly as you can. The long string will lie to you.
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 07:37:00 AM »
If you are consistently ending up light then it is not just a tillering problem.  Tell us more.  Are you getting hinges and then having to take off too much wood to correct and then seesawing between the limbs?  What design and instructions are you using?  

It might help to start from the beginning.  Get a good book and follow it closely. I highly recommend both Dean Torges "Hunting the Osage Bow" and the "Traditional Bowyers Bible Vol 1"
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DrSockeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
OK I just ordered Hunting the Osage Bow.  Thanks for the advice.
 My plans came from some old magazine, a selfbow or American flatbow.  My bow is 64" long, and your right I do chase hinges.  I'm also using my long tillering string too much.  I'll adjust with my next bow.  
I found a farmer in South East Kansas (Tornado zone) who sells fence post.  These are Osage Orange or Hedge apple as they call it.  And he assures me he can get me some straight knotless logs. He drives up to Nebraska frequently, so maybe soon I'l have some Osage.

Offline DrSockeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
By the way I love this site and it's members.  Reading the post from Turkey and hearing everyones encouraging responses instead of scolding the guy for posting, really moved me.  Thanks for being the good Americans and not the "Ugly" ones.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
If getting the fence post ask him to seal the ends when he cuts it.
Most of the posts I've seen we're not sealed nd checked badly .
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
Cutting your own bow wood is usually a better option.  I have been some places whereevery tree would make a bow but most are 1 in 100 trees.  I once went to a place that had thousands of trees and I found maybe 4 that were marginal bow wood.

Get the book.  Follow the book and you will learn how to make an osage bow.

While you are reading why not try a simple board bow?:   http://sticknstring.webs.com/ferretsboardbow.htm

Here's how I tiller:  http://hedgerowselfbows.webs.com/fromblanktobow.htm
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
Make yourself one of these, no more hinges to chase if you use it correctly.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001047#000000

Offline DrSockeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for the info/advice.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
I recommend Paul Comstock's book "The Bent Stick" for beginners myself. That's where I started. Personally, I think Dean's book is a little advanced.

Learn the art of taper tillering instead of tree tillering to begin with. Difference being, when you apply a taper, limb bends accordingly. Tree tillering, you remove wood where you think it needs it to get the limb bending properly. First method, you won't get hinges. Second method, beginners are sure to screw things up. I know I did. So add Paul's book to your list...........Art

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
After it's floor tillered and I get the short string on it, I check the draw weight with one of those spring loaded scales and keep checking it after removing wood.  I never stress the limbs to the weight I'm trying to hit until the very end, draw it to about 5 pounds under.  Eric's gizmo has been the biggest help to my tillering by far.
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©