Author Topic: Power lam tips and riser  (Read 392 times)

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Power lam tips and riser
« on: June 04, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
Has anyone added like a 6" power lam  between the bamboo and board at the tips on bbh or BBO bows before. Is it smart to make the tips stiffer. I was thinking of adding a tapered lam 6 at tips between the bamboo and hickory then grinding it at a angle like Roy does and adding overlays to make the nocks  and does anyone have pics?  And is there a added performance by doing this  and for those who add a power lam in the riser. Do you feel the difference with a bow that doesn't have a PL and how long do you make your PL in the riser
Thanks guys
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Power lam tips and riser
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
I like my power lams about 1 1/2 inches longer than the riser.
Roy doesn't use a power lam but his riser design makes up for it.
A power lams function is to move the bending part of the riser  a little away from the edge of the glued on handle. To keep glued on handles from popping off.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 06:40:00 AM »
I've done it by sawing a kerf down into the limb tip 12" or so, and then glue in a tapered or parallel lam. I've done it at the same time I do the main glue-up on backed bows, in order to get the outer limbs to bend farther without breaking... and I've done it on selfbows to reflex or recurve the tips. Same effect as heating and bending, but less likely for 'working' recurves to pull out with use. Want the outer limb to work more? insert a parallel. Want it to work less?  insert a taper. Static? Glue in a more drastic taper.

It's also a nice way to move the tips back forward again on a bow that took some set, making it more efficient, and gives it a nice profile too.

My favorite bandsaw blade cuts a kerf that a .050" lam fills perfectly... so that's how thick I make the taper on the thin end.

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
I live 8 miles from the Pacific Ocean and at an elevation of 1960ft above sea level. The humidity is always high here, but in the winter rainy season it is unreal. I am always looking for something to reduce or negate line set.
With that said you can make tip wedges just like the ones you see in a lot of the board bow build alongs and place your backing over it.
 [/url] [/IMG]

This is a hickory backed hickory tip, static. On a molly style bow.

hope it helps luck on your build

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
Here is that bow finished
 [/url] [/IMG]

One of the guys at work giving it a pull.
This bow with four arrows was for our TC3 she is tiny barely a 100 pounds. 31#@ 28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©