Author Topic: kid's bow build advice... dimensions, etc.  (Read 282 times)

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
kid's bow build advice... dimensions, etc.
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
been getting my daughter (5 yo) more involved in archery and she is loving it. only problem is the hickory bow i built her has developed a bad hinge out of the fade at the bottom, and tiller looks aweful.  still shoots good for her but it bothers me. and i know its too light for her  because sometimes she gets excited and pulls it back behind her head no problem. was thinking of backing it to add weight and fix the tiller, but i think i will just build her a new one, got several hickory staves.  im going to take the same time and effort i take with my own bows, and try to make something that will last her a little while.  she is big for 5, probably size and strength of average 6-7 year old. 48" tall, and pulling right now i think about 17# @ 20". i think i want to build the bow a little taller than her, and tiller it out a few more inches... maybe 23-24", so she has a couple years to grow with it.  anybody got any design ideas for this kind of bow? probably going to try to induce some reflex just to counteract the set i know it will take.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: kid's bow build advice... dimensions, etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
You sound like you are on the right track. Most of the kids bows I have done are board bows, with one osage kids bow. If you make it 52-54" ttt and tiller it out to 24" she will have plenty to grow into. Check weights at different draws but if you end at 25-30# at the 24" draw she should be good to go. I would not worry about inducing much reflex in this bow. A little string follow wont hurt a bit and will make for a softer shooting bow, less hand shock (i believe). Keep it simple and elegant and she will love it. Easier to get a shooting bow as well.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
I make kids bows 1" wide for half the limb and 52" long.  Tiller them to draw 25# at 24" and then they can pretty much shoot them until they are ready for an adult bow.  Plus a little set makes a bow easy to string for a kid.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
Thanks guys, sounds like a plan. may not do quite as in depth a build along on this one but i will post some pics.  trying to get our arrows done for the next shoot, then i will turn attention to the bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©