Author Topic: Red elm and cherry bow  (Read 995 times)

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
Red elm and cherry bow
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
I read so many good things about elm and cherry in The Bowyer's Bibles that I had to give them a try.  Really like the look of the wood, especially the red elm grain.  It's actually a tri-lam, but the walnut core blended in with the elm after I stained it.  I wanted a lighter bow for target shooting so I made it 40#.

It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Red elm and cherry bow
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Nice..

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 03:35:00 AM »
Very Cool!

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 07:19:00 AM »
I realize its elm and low poundage,but not the best choice in a backing strip...the top limb has 4 ring violations in about 6",and the bottom limb has swirly grain that runs off the edge at almost a dangerous angle...hope it holds up for you? Do you have a full draw pic? Cus it just looks like a pretty piece of stained wood to me  ;)

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
@mockingbird: Unfortunately I've found out that all internet forums  have a couple of resident trolls and my guess is that you must be the head one in this part of TradGang.  It just makes me wonder if you are very young or immature for your age or maybe that your folks either gave up or did not bother to teach you any manners.  I was raised with the adage "If you can't find anything good to say about something, don't say anything at all" especially if it is something that someone made with their own hands and put a lot of time into.  I will admit that I've been making bows for less than a year and that the boards I use aren't always perfect.  And I have a whole lot yet to learn.  I used the Bows from Boards chapter in TBB2 as my guide for working with the grain violation on the back of my bow.  I've shot 250+ arrows thru it without raising a splinter or having the tiller change as much as 1/16"   Much as I know that it's never a good idea to feed a troll, I put my bow back on the tree @27", my draw length.  Yeah, and the tiller on my "pretty piece of stained wood" ain't perfect.  Tell me something I don't already know...

Thanks Roy and Bowhnteverything for the kind words.  It's much appreciated.

It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
Dang thats sweet.  I like how the grip section kinda snakes back and forth.  Like the color too..Well done

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
Takefive, your work bench is awesome:) LOL

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
Tiller looks good to me.  Very nice looking bow too.  Nice work.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline Frosty the Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »
Black Mockingbird,

Sir, usually you have been someone I have seen good things from on here, today I am frankly ashamed.

I have been to busy to get on in forever due to my work and school schedule, and the first thing I read is you tearing another new bowyer like me down. That makes me very sad, I have come to regard the peope on here as good, positive and encouraging.
I hope you were just having a bad day or something.

Take Five,
I like what you did, maybe it's not perfect, but it sure looks good to me, and sounds like it works pretty dang good.

Great Job and keep up the good work!!!!!!!
I admire you for keeping at it, and trying to learn from all your mistakes and problems.

I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 03:14:00 AM »
Black Mocking Bird,

You are an idiot !
Where the he.. Do you get off bashing this mans work by looking at a picture.
Have you held the bow in your hands? Have ya shot it? How many bows have you made and been proud enough to post for all to see.
Crawl back under your rock and do your homework before spilling your unfounded opinions .

That bow is beautiful. Looks like the builder put a lot of work into it.
A real shooter I'll bet.
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 04:51:00 AM »
Geeze, you guys are being kind of hard on Black Mockingbird if you ask me. I don't think he was too rough on him. He simply questioned the integrity of the ring violtions on the bow's back, as did I the instant I saw it. When I first looked at it I thought it had to be under clear glass. I'm actually very impressed that it's held up thus far.

And his stained piece of wood comment was made in jest, as he asked to see the full draw picture... a requisite most times a new bow is introduced to other bowyers.

Good luck with your bow. I hope it holds up for you. Keep us posted on it's durability please. I'm kinda intrigued as to how it will hold up.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 06:19:00 AM »
I also don't think black mockingbird's comments were rude. He simply stated possible problem areas and then he went on to say he hopes it holds up for you.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
@ take five....might wanna look in the mirror and take your own advice ...I simply stated some constructive criticism to HELP you,and share my many many many many bows worth of knowledge with you....think before you speak please and grow some thicker skin and learn how to accept constructive criticism and be grateful someone with my experience is willing to share it with you

@frosty...read what I just said to takefive

@petelumapete....really? Cowardly Namecalling someone you know nothing about and never met hiding behind your computer screen...really? And as far as how many bows I've made,I can assure you its 50 times+ more than all three of you bashing me....grow up dude..name calling is for third graders and inappropriate

Thanks Roy..thanks Jeff for "reading" what I wrote  ;)  both of those guys know me personally and have seen my work,and know my experience ...

That bow might hold up...but if he did it the same way ten times I bet half(or maybe more)might break,and if he used a different type of wood(besides hickory) with those types of violations it will most likely break every time..now wouldn't you want to know that?

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »
I also thought it was under clear glass at first glance. Definitely would not have been my choice for backing but if it holds up for ya great. I dont really understand  u guys getting all worked up over mockingbirds comments, he just told you what he thought. Take it or leave it, but he does have a lot of bowbuilding experience as do a lot of other folks on here. So if u dont want any criticism you probly shouldnt post any pics. BTW, the bow is pretty but  im surprised it has held up with that many grain violations on the back.

• Trad Bowhunter

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 08:14:00 AM »
Them bows suck... LOL    :laughing:

Very nice, Chris..

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Them bows suck... LOL     :thumbsup:

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
On a TRI-lam bow, are the ring violations really an issue?

Jus askin
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by 4runr:
On a TRI-lam bow, are the ring violations really an issue?

Jus askin
Simple answer....yes...its the same if it was a one piece board or stave with the same violations,because the back is under tension just the same and no different...

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
I don't make bows, my talents lie elsewhere, but then again I don't criticize another mans work unless he ask.
This gentleman wasn't asking for a critique of his work. He was simply posting a look what I did. Obviously and rightfully proud of it.

Since you asked me, your bows look like fine bows. You have a lot to be proud of.
Do I like the way they look that I would go out and buy one? Nope.
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©