Author Topic: New Bow Design Concept - Black Widow  (Read 475 times)

Offline Erwincm

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Bow Design Concept - Black Widow
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
Yes, and I believe they actually make tinted, sparkled, and opaque fillers for epoxy. However, it's even easier than that. I use a special thin masking paper that gets burned away by the laser and etches the wood underneath it in the graphics areas. Then you simply apply a couple of coats of spray enamel (ie. Rustoleum, Krylon, etc) in whatever color you like then peel the remaining masking tape off. It works great and produces incredible detail! Here's a better picture I found the illustrates the detail. The graphic is only about 2 inches high and I did a light fill with dark brown to give it a deep etched look:

Offline Xander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
I think its a cool concept.  Not sure how well inlaid pieces will hold together during flexion, but if its under clear glass I say go for it.  Maybe consider having ghost webs airbrushed on by an artist.  Call a local hotrod paint shop and ask them who is a good airbush artist.  Though out there in 'Bama, I don't know if you guys have as many naked amazon women painted on low-rider chevys like here in CA, lol!

I think it would be really cool if the graphics were kept stealth with clear pearlescent or opalescent paint.

Just my $0.02

Nice CAD work, btw!  What program are you using?
-Xander

Offline Erwincm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
I think the closest airbrush artist is probably 7 hours south of me in Orange Beach, AL so I'll have to stick with local resourcefulness. I actually really like your stealth pearlescent or opalascent idea! I have the ability to laser cut masks for spray painting designs but was thinking a real hardwood inlay wood be more desirable and make the bow more valuable even though the colors wouldn't have as much contrast as a painted highlight. Which approach do you think would make the bow more desirable to an independent party? I only ask because I might try to make some bows for profit one day and would like to practice with the most desirable formula.

I use SolidWorks for me CAD designs. It's awesome software!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©