Author Topic: First Self Bow  (Read 355 times)

Offline MikeEvans

• Trad Bowhunter
First Self Bow
« on: June 21, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Another question for my first self bow. I have my stave roughed out and need advice before I move on. The best I can find out is you need to try to stay within one growth ring for best results. I am attempting to make a mid 40's pounder out of a hickory stave. At this point I don't see any way to stay with one growth ring without having a severe twist to one limb. Is it ok to go to another growth ring or two within the length of the limb?

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Self Bow
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
I would not do it.  I'm not following how the twist and staying in a ring are related though.  Got pics?
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
You can cut across the grain on hickory and probably get away with it.

It would better to use a heat gun and take the twist out of your stave, then follow one grain if you can.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
A little twist is not a bad thing for a selfbow. You will have a better chance of success if you follow one ring on the back. Hickory might survive with some grain violation but you might as well get into the habit of doing it the correct way.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
Are you trying to chase a ring or lay out the bows pattern?

Offline MikeEvans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 12:05:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I will stay with one growth ring, after gettin it within a ring or two for the entire length there is not as much twist as I originally thought. Slow go but gonna be worth it in the end.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Are you trying to chase a ring or lay out the bows pattern?
I was wondering the same thing old boy. I would do my best to avoid violating a ring on the back of the stave. Go deeper to a thicker ring if you need to, but edge layout won't affect the back ring.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
Just curious, why are you trying to chase a ring on hickory instead of just using the back as is, assuming you removed the bark?
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
Yeah I don't quite understand either .... it's much easier with whitewoods such as hickory to use the outside of the log as the back ... iut's automatically one ring.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
Maybe I can help.  He's talking about chasing a ring Roy.  I gave him the stave.  When I stripped the bark off about three years ago I violated some of the rings under the bark with the draw knife.  Pleanity of wood on the stave to get down to one ring they are just tight rings.  I don't know much about selfbows so more educated advice would be appreciated.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
Tight rings on a whitewood stave are tough to chase. However, violated rings are never a good idea on any stave so this is a tough choice. Perhaps a compromise is to oput it aside until some experience is gained then have at it and chase the ring.
Jawge

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
AH, so you screwed it up D? I should have known  :)   LOL

If you remove the bark when the tree has just recently been cut in late summer or early fall, then the bark will peel right off almost in one piece.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
You can decrown a stave and have a safe bow, I say just try decrowning it and keeping the rings running evenly straight up and down the back.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
I'd chase a ring out and see what she looks like.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
I made one that the limbs pointed in opposite directions so while it was roughed out I steamed the handle area and took some of the twist out. I thought it would be better to try it in the handle rather than risk breaking a limb. I had to steam it a couple of times to get it fairly straight. You have to improvise 2 clamps from scrap or 2 x 2's and cordage to gain the leverage needed to twist it. For a steamer I use a metal 5 gallon can and cut 2 holes in the top to slide the bow through. Use tin foil to seal around the holes. Heat up over a fire or propane burner. If you use a fire don't burn your bow  :)
Member NCBA

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
Weeellll Roy I wouldn't say its screewed up..lol  Really it has pleanity of wood to get down to one ring.  And as far as the peeling the bark off and using that as the back part..Thats the way I have done all others I have split.  Not that I have split a lot but still thats the easiest way to get a good back.  Plus I like the way it looks right under the bark.  Ol Mike can handle it.  No worries.

Offline MikeEvans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
Got the back done, chasing one growth ring and am in better shape that first thought. It has a little twist to it but think it will be pretty good without heating. Will get it worked down in the limbs before I make that determination. Thanks for all the input guys.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
Look foward to seeing what you have done Mike.  Good luck with it.

Offline MikeEvans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
I will bring it to the next shoot. Got a long ways to go but is starting to look like a bow. Puttin alot of hours into it, may even get to hunt with it this year. Gonna be tight with only 86 days to go.

Offline MikeEvans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
Gotta say that everyone that has seen this stave said that it was one of the best lookin ones they had see. Thanks again D.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©