Author Topic: Can you make a board bow riser forward?  (Read 246 times)

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
Can you make a board bow riser forward?
« on: June 23, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
As the title, I'm laying out my next board bow now, thought it might help some with my ridiculous draw length.  Also trying to source local backing materials.  Kind of leaning towards rawhide, have no idea where to locate hickory save my own back yard.  I hope to make at least one fewer mistake this time.  Or two, and one new one.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can you make a board bow riser forward?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
Rawhide has some advantages. It't tough and,it is easy to paint or decorate using permanent pens.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
What's your draw length?

I think you can make a forward handle board bow without much trouble. I would probably still fade into the limbs from the belly side, just glue on your riser block onto the back of the bow in the handle area, and fade the forward handle portion smoothly into the back.

I'd make the rider block fade into the bow just inside of the fades in your main board.

I don't know if that made sense, I'll post a pic later.

Alo I think George Tsoukalis' site has some forward handle board bows.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
On second thoguht I say just make the bow longer. It'll be alot easier than reinventing the wheel.

I'd say 72" for a 30" draw ... and add 2" for every 1" of draw length.

BTW what is your draw length? Have you had it measured? draw lenght corresponds fairly well to heing, so for example a 32" draw would be typical for someone over 6'6" tall.

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
I found some hickory at a factory that made shipping skids. Apparently hickory is a pretty common wood for skids. They gave me some thin scrap pieces. Maybe something like that in your area?

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
I have a draw that may possibly be over 34".  I shoot uncut 36" dowels comfortably.  I CAN pull those far enough to fall off the end of the bow with just field points.  That's if I anchor under my ear or on the jaw line.  If I anchor at my mouth, the 36" is enough.

http://www.marfan.org/cms/uploaded_files/8XJIUG81F3/89/docs/factsheet_mfsbodysystem.pdf

I originally stood 6' 6", but my arm span is something like 7' 4".  Of all the skeletal symptoms they list, only my ribcage is unaffected.  Small consolation, really.

I had a single 72" red oak board left, and I was trying to find a way to use it and to reduce the impact of such a large draw.  I could add siyahs I guess...

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
Make a bend in the handle 72" long and hickory should handle it.  I'd forget about the 72" red oak.  I make 28" draw red oak bows 72" long.  If you can only find red oak, make it 76"+.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
The red oak board had a knot I missed on first inspection.  It'll be used to foot arrows, or make risers or something.  That leaves me out of bow wood, but it's better than snapping something in my face.  Leaves me time to get better with making arrows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©