Author Topic: How do you mate your riser to a R/D bow  (Read 570 times)

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
How do you mate your riser to a R/D bow
« on: June 24, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Ok I have been watching and trying to learn for years now and after many unsuccessful attempts  I finally made a board bow, now its not the greatest but it shoots ok...well I just glued up a hickory reflex bow recently with help from D (David) and Im gonna start on a R/D BBH bow shortly and checking my jig, I don't have a idea how Im gonna mate the riser to the blank because of the curve, is there a way to do it easily, is there a how to or build along that I miss somewhere, I think on the Torges video shows a way but I cant remember for sure as I haven't watched it in over 12 years and that is a VHS and I don't own one anymore...I had a heck of a time trying to mate the reflex hickory to the blank and will gel super glue work..I know I should get some unibond but cant afford it right now..Im hoping it holds...I glued tips today and had to pop one off after a couple hours since it slid 1/2"..luckily it poped off somewhat clean...re sanded and cut another overlay and got it to stay after massive amount of tape then clamped it..I just checked out a pic ol Roy put up awhile ago so I will do that next time I do another angle tip overlay....check out my jig..my first attempt..part of my string stretcher unit but I modified...any tips or suggestions..I used my buddys David's dimension for his BBI with 6" center and 5" middles and 8"tips and on the side you don't see I have a tape measure that scales out at 74"
   "  [/url] [/IMG]  [/url] [/IMG]  [/url] [/IMG]
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you mate your riser to a R/D bow
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
I'm no expert by any means but I cut my handle material to my desired length, mark the center and line it up with my center mark on my bow. I then use the curve of the bow to mark the riser shape with a pencil. Cut it out with the band saw and hand sand till it fits right with no gaps. And yes, I use unibond to glue my riser to the bow. I did use titebond III on my first hickory but it wasn't a r/d design. Not saying it wouldn't work but I know unibond works so I'll stick with that.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
As stated above with the trace and make it fit method.
I prefer to use many layers of 1/4 or less slats. I stack them up each one being a little shorter as they stack to the outside.

This way when I glue up the stack glueing,between each piece the stack will bend when I put the clamp in the middle and align on bow. I mark all pieces on,center line for alignment.

You can use all the same wood or contrasting layers.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
TBIII is very strong and very cheap if you're on a budget. You will need to have a very tight fit of the mating surfaces though so get ready to do some sanding.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
I found fitting the handle to be the hardest part of the build.
I did as described above..glue up bow, trace on riser block, cut and sand..

It just takes a while, but it can be done.
I'd use unibond for it just in case you don't get things quite "perfect"
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
using slats is very interesting to me.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
Here are some that started with the slats.

United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
very pretty.

In my mind I was thinking of more and thinner layers.
Wasn't sure if I'd like the look of that.
I like the look of yours though.

I'll probably try that next time around.
I'd think it would be an interesting stack to clamp.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
Razorbak. Are your mid limb posts anchored down?

There will be,some,resistance the bending.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
Cut to fit before glue up. Note the arc in the bow glue up? Cut a piece of riser material, lay it on it's side, lay the bow on top of the riser material, trace it out, cut it out, then get it too an even mating surface with hand tools. Make sure you mark one end of the riser as top so you always put it back on the correct way when checking for the fit.

Glued up.

Different handle but how they look after being all done.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
I use the same method.  I glue my riser block together first and then lay the limbs over it and trace the curve with a pencil and then cut and sand to fit.  Check the fit A LOT while your sanding.  It take some time but you can handle it.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
If a Rebel can  do it, a Yankee can too. LOL

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
Thanks guys..the tips will be very helpful...I like the pics , those are nice...and my mids are not anchored, only the tips are, got to modify it some and here is one I just finished today but I had bad glue lines and it came out to 44# @ 26" 66 long and 64" nock to nock..don't think its gonna make it, I just heard a tick when I just drew it back so I unstrung it and walked away..this is bow 132 and out of all that only 1 survived so far..LOL
 [IMGhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/razorbak1/012_zps28aa4710.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/IMG]  [/url] [/IMG]  [/url] [/IMG]  [/url] [/IMG]  [/url] [/IMG]  [/url] [/IMG]  [/url] [/IMG]  [/url] [/IMG]  [/url] [/IMG]
hickory board with hick backing that my good buddy David gifted me..it has action wood tips and in riser and some curly maple as well with a cut in rest....Im trying so hard to make one that will last and at my draw weight, thought this one was gonna get there but top limb didn't want to bend enough to floor tiller, but after 3hours it finaly bent enough to put on long string then shorter string then brace to 6"...I used the gizmo, I know tiller isn't perfect and I want to get there someday especially when I do a R/D BBH or BBO someday
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
[/url] [/IMG]
here is another pic
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
My friend,

Please don't be afraid to ask for more help in every aspect of bow building.
From choosing the right type and quality of wood to the type of sandpaper for finishing.

I can hardly imagine the frustration I would feel after building that many bows without having the hoped for result.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 07:05:00 PM »
Hang in there Art ol buddy.  You will get it.  Like I told you in the PM a full draw pic would help a lot.  The knowledge on here is endless and if you do what the experts say (I AM NOT INCLUDED IN THAT AT ALL) you will for sure get a bow.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
That is an incredible number of,failures. You might have the worlds record.
I can see this with board bows. But once,you move into backed bows the success rate should improve.

First try to find out where the,"tic" came from.
Do you have a pulley operated tillering tree?

Hard to,see,how your tillering went from the pictures.
Hickory usually needs to be,wider than IPE. iPE is a dense wood that can work,well very narrow.

R/d bows are a little more difficult to tiller than straight or reflexed bows.

After that many tries there is something fundamentally wrong with your process.
Maybe  a build along using your picture taking skills on each step.
I read into your post that finances are a problem.  If you had to buy the board,for the failed bows it adds up fast.

I wish you lived closer, would love to get together for some building.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
I always thought I had a record in failures. I started 20 years ago and had videos and books to go by. But I learn that my tillering skills were BAD. Until I use a gizmo for the first time is when I made my first successful board bow. I have use boards staves and bamboo and with and all the failures  was my tillering skills and a few bad woods as I didn't know any better.   I was buying staves And logs every week for years trying to make one until I got injured from a work accident.  I didn't do anything for 3 years until recently. With the kindness and help from David (D). I'm raring to go again.  I have pully system and trees to help me in my process.  I will do a build along on my next attempt and that's gonna be a R/D bow. Thanks everyone for your help so far
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 11:39:00 PM »
will get up full draw pics..wish there is more people in my area to build bows with and to learn from...not many in my area even have the desire to do it....I would build bows with everyone on this site if I could
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 11:56:00 PM »
132? Get out.. You from New Hampshire?  :)  

Tip here, do not use flat sawn wood for tip over lays. Use 1/4 sawn hard wood, but horn is way better.

What happened to all your bows, how did they fail?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©