Author Topic: Help me save my bow.  (Read 360 times)

Offline Knobbir

• Trad Bowhunter
Help me save my bow.
« on: July 20, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
I just went to my garage to grab my Bamboo/Ipe #56 and saw that the lower limb has de-laminated. It also had a bit of a hinge in the middle of the de-lam area. I was distraught.

IMG_0782[1]  by  MrKnobbie , on Flickr

This was a Rudder Bow you-finish kit that I put a lot of energy into.  It was my finest creation ever, and it shot wonderfully- especially with carbon arrows.
Now this.

IMG_0780[1]  by  MrKnobbie , on Flickr
If I can fix it, I'd really like to try.

I'm really kicking myself: I left it strung becasue I was shooting almost everyday, but hadn't shot since last Monday.  It hasn't been as hot here(102 outside, 110 or so in the garage), so I thought my bows would be safe in the garage. The wife wanted the house to look a little less like a storage locker for my junk.
*But before I bought this kit I contacted the guy at Rudder, and asked if he used an epoxy that was oven cured (Bringham products advertizes that this stuff will tolerate heat up around 130). He said yes. I'm going to contact him, amd put a similar plea on BCUSA.

Please help me save this beauty.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me save my bow.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Maybe this us just me but for a bow with no fiberglass I would not leave it strung if I wasn't actually using it.
Good luck on fixing it.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
I can't believe how thick that bamboo is.  That's why there is so much string follow.  Personally, I'd start another.  Just don't buy the blank from the same person.

However, it can be fixed.  Just clean it up the best you can and then get some epoxy and butter up both sides really well.  Clamps light, just enough to start squeezing the epoxy out.  Let it cure and see what you've got.

Never leave a bow strung in 110 degree temps.  Never.  And never leave an all natural bow strung unless you are hunting or shooting.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
Knobbir, I'm sorry to see that, and the last thing you need now is a scolding, but I can't help myself. It needs said... Don't EVER leave a wooden bow braced when you're not using it. And don't leave ANY bow strung, wood, glass, or any other in a hot environment. You now know the consequences. Nuff said.

Ok, to fix. What was the unstrung profile prior to the mishap? What percentage of that string follow happened because of the delamination? What does the other limb look like?

It's possible to fix it. If the other limb is still straight, I would clean out the glue joint in the delamination with a scraper as best I could, scratch it up in there with a hacksaw blade, and glue it up to match the other limb.

If the non-delaminated limb took on a similar amount of string follow, here's something to consider... I'd glue the 'bad limb' back together, let it cure, then run the bandsaw into both of them, following the glue joint for about 10-12", then glue in a 10-12" lam to fill the void left by the bandsaw, reflexing it a decent amount during glue-up.

The reason I would glue up the bad limb before sawing  it back apart is because that way in the end, both limbs will be the exact same thickness, requiring little additional tillering. Also, the saw kerf will remove the old glue line completely, prepping it for glue up.

How about some more pictures, including the other limb? If it's possible, and you don't have the means, I'll make the repair for you free of charge, supply you with the inserts for the kerf, or whatever. Let me know if I can help.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
John is right.

Last summer I repaired a hickory backed hickory bow that had that much set due to being left strung over a long period in the heat and humidity of South Arkansas.

I removed the backing and added a new backing of boo with just a little reflex glued in. It's still shooting for my friend.

Wasn't a tough fix, at all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©