Author Topic: board tiller advice  (Read 405 times)

Offline robA72

• Trad Bowhunter
board tiller advice
« on: July 21, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
Hey guys. I know it seems everyday one of us newbies is asking for help with our board bows. So I'm sorry to add another. But I would really like to have a shooting bow done soon.
So, can you guys give me some advice here?
I see a hinge forming on the right limb, so I've started to work on that. I will be adding a linen backing but is there anything I can add to this area to strengthen it?
Anything else?
Thank you in advance
  [/url] [/IMG]

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: board tiller advice
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
You might want to cut 6 inches off each end and start over, or make another bow. You have an extra long string on it already and the right  tip is already bent way too much, going to a shorter string will only enhance the problem. The bows inner two thirds of the limbs are flat, they need to bend. Do you have a gizmo tool? If not view the link below, make one and use it.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000075

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
As thin as you have the outer limbs on your bow I suspect you will have about a 15# bow when you correct the tiller.

You could add a hickory backing to your board and start over or make a tillering gizmo, practice using it on your current bow so you can avoid the hinges on your next bow.

Offline Jomohr84

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
On your next bow consider keeping at least the last six inches of each limb stiff. Longbows perform better with stiff tips, and the rest of the limbs doing the work. Make yourself a tillering gizmo, and start tillering with a shorter string. Make sure the string you use for tillering has little to no stretch, or it won't work well for tillering. I ordered my tillering string from 3 rivers, or you can make one from b50 or fast flight, whatever bowstring material you may have.
Jonathan Mohr

Offline robA72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
UGH!! Why can't I get this right?
Anyway, thanks guys for your input. I'll keep working on it. Which of course means I will keep pestering you all for help...

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 12:16:00 AM »
On your next attempt at a bow, cut in the string grooves after you get it floor tillered. Then use a real bow string and the first time you string the bow, use a string that is a little long, so that when you string it, the string lays tight up against the belly of the bow. Then start working it down the tree slowly and get those limbs bending evenly. You want the whole limb to bend with a nice gentle arc like a 1/4 moon. Read this thread link below, it will help you.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000122

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
Think of each limb in thirds also, the inner third by the fades (where it comes out of the handle) the middle third, and then the outer third or the limb tips.

that helped me alot in understanding how to tiller, using the gizmo (Eric Krewsons post) keeps me from making mistakes and taking wood from the wrong place.
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
Yeah you're gonna have to give trhat another run.

You need a tillering gizmo, and also keep the tips stiff for the last 6". Just barely, barely, barely bending at all at the tips.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
It is very useful to mark the limbs every 4" or so and verify that you have a good layout prior to bending it.  Looks like you got pretty thin there at the tips.  I start with between 1/2" and 9/16" thick (belly to back) on most all my bows.  A very gradual taper to the tips is OK to start but I often leave it the same thickness from handle to tip and let tillering tell me where to remove wood.

It is also a good idea to make sure your width (side to side) is correct and that the limbs match.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline robA72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
You know what? You guys are the best. I really am grateful that I am able to get feedback and criticism back from you guys and not feel like an idiot at the same time.
Thank you all very much. I wish I could buy you all a beer (or soft drink)...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
Practice on it now. It is bending too much at the last 8 inches. Leave the handle area alone and remove wood out to the part that is bending too much. There are directions on my site. Jawge
 http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
Rob I'll pm ya my address and you can send me that beer:) LOL

Offline robA72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Rob I'll pm ya my address and you can send me that beer:) LOL
LOL Roy.
It's on it's way. It might be warm and flat by the time it gets to you!   :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©