Author Topic: Questions on Penobscot bow design...  (Read 367 times)

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions on Penobscot bow design...
« on: July 23, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
I've been doing a fair bit of research on bows that offer a "let-off" but aren't wheelie bows, which has led me to two forms-the horse bow, and the Penobscot.  My horse bow, while it needs tuning, does actually offer a small amount.  However, all of my research on the Penobscot has shown me that it does offer the let-off, but it also can be tuned over a wide range of draw weight by manipulating the front strings.  This would help me immensely, as I could start low and work up on the same bow, as well as tune down if my arthritis is really eating me up, without having to change bows.  Familiarity helps my accuracy, generally speaking.

There are Penobscot kits available, or I can design and build my own.  Bow geometry isn't exactly new to me (that horsebow works, after all) but I wanted to see if anyone had built one and if they had any advice.  I don't expect to get this done in a month by any means, but an adjustable weight bow with my health problems is a seriously good idea, and one that I don't have to go buy limbs for would be even better.

From what I've read, this is referred to as a Micmac war bow.  It seems to be the most easily tuned.

I'm thinking hickory would be appropriate.  I'm keeping clear of osage, its price is way out of what I can afford and I don't have the tools or place to work it down to a single ring for a pair of bows.  I've seen a few of red oak, as the overall weight of the primary bow is not high, but I'm not sure I'd trust it anyway.  Shooting my board bow drove that point home for me.

Feel free to tell me I'm insane, or to buy a kit and do it, but I can't find a kit with the Micmac long strings in front.  If I could, my dilemma would be over.  Any other advice (such as wood selection) would be most welcome.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©