Author Topic: Started another Tri Lam  (Read 4425 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Started another Tri Lam
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2013, 11:00:00 AM »
Oh I neglected to post the picture of the cans of glue it took to get it to this point. Took a lot of glue:) LMAO

Thanks for the nice comments, guys! Today is mow the grass day as it's been neglected for a while do to bow building and fishing...

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
:thumbsup:     :thumbsup:

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
Another nice one!    :notworthy:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Bob at Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
a great job!  I'm interested in your tillering tree/bow position/pulling point method...have you posted this already?
thanks!
Bob- (I'm mowing grass today too... LOL)

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
I'm mowed today too. Mowed the field over at mom's then took a walk in her woods looking for bow wood... didn't find anything that moved me to fire up the chainsaw.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
Well Bowjunkie could explain it better than I, but the bow is resting on a one inch plate at the center of the 4 inch handle, the pull rope is positioned to the right to replicate where the middle finger of my drawing hand will be when shooting the bow. It's setup assuming a 3/8th nocking point above the arrow shelf. The line to the right is used for tillering for split finger and the line to the left is used for three under tillering. To achieve equal limb timing, the pull rope should travel straight down the line on the wall according to split or three under tillering. If the rope drifts to the left, that means the left limb is stronger, if the rope drifts to the right, that means the right limb is stronger. Just how some folks do it, others pull from the center of the handle, but it makes more sense to me to pull the bow on the tree from where your fingers will be when shooting the bow.

I shot it about 50 times today, quiet, smooth, no hand shock, and shoots pretty darn good. It has a FF string on it.

And I'm bummed out, something happened to the tractor today, wasn't running right, had a lack of power and loud whining noise coming from the engine. Gotta haul it to the dealer tomorrow, something tells me this ain't gonna be a cheap fix...

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
Glad ya tamed that bow Roy! How does it shoot compared to your other bows being a little thinner profile?
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
I don't have much to add, Roy. You explained the basics pretty well.

The only way your explanation wouldn't work for someone would be if they didn't let the weight of the bow pull evenly into the bow hand... like if they shot with the pressure mostly on the heal of the hand, or shot with a straight wrist and high grip... then they would have to set up their tree to replicate their grip... that's all.

Basically it's this simple... Replicate grip on bow and string, draw a line to mimic string hand fulcrum travel perpendicular to handle, and adjust relative limb strength so the hook follows the line as the bow is drawn.

When it follows the line to full draw, the limbs are syn'd and the nock point can be set where you predetermined it, 3/8" in Roy's case, and mine... and the bow will shoot an arrow straight away, without handshock, vibration, will balance in the bow hand at full draw, shoot efficiently, quietly.... all the good stuff  :)  from the very first arrow shot.

Sometimes it's easy to pick up on bows that aren't timed well. They often reveal themselves in full draw pictures as they lean forward or back in the bow hand. And when shot, they try to jump the opposite way due to the inertia of the stronger limb returning first.

Watch em. Bows are the best teachers.

Offline Bob at Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
thanks!
Bob

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
Actually Ralph, I over built this bow width wise because my first tri lam came in too light in weight. The first tri lam had ERC core wood, this bow I used Wild Cherry. So now that I have narrowed this bow twice to reduce weight, it's right at where I always make my BBO bows, 1 1/4 at flares to 1/2 at tips. I am new to the tri lam game, this is only my second one, but will not be my last. I just love how they glue up and look when done. I just need to get familiar with different core woods and thickness tapers for different draw weights. OMG, I'm starting to talk like one of them glass bow guys and their stacks.. LYAO McKenzie..  :laughing:

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
OMG, I'm starting to talk like one of them glass bow guys and their stacks.. LYAO McKenzie..   :laughing:  
Yup.    :laughing:
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
for what it's worth Roy....Kubota tractors tend to mimic their owners  
   :bigsmyl:

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Roy, I have fiberglass here when you're ready. Just say the word  ;)

Won't be long now....

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2013, 10:36:00 PM »
Gooberboy, that Kubota is 18 years old. Other than one battery, it has never failed me. Bowjunkie, no thanks. I have gas here too  LMAO

Online Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
Nice Roy...glad your handle didn't pop off  :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2013, 12:29:00 AM »
I hate tedious stuff, and taking the rind off drives me up the wall. But ya gotta be very careful when doing it, or else. Pop goes the Boo.. Don't try to make it perfect and get all the rind off, there are little lateral depressions along the boo that ya just gotta let them alone. If you try to get them out, you cut into the power fibers on either side of them, that is bad news on down the road.

Riser is pretty cool stuff.

Tung Oil before wiping it off. I don't know why it looks so crooked there, but it does.

And after wiping it off.

Artty Boy, if ya would only learn to pay attention to details and GO SLOW. Your handles wouldn't pop off either, son:) This is the build along you wanted, pay attention.. LOL

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2013, 12:46:00 AM »
I tired and going to bed. This retirement hain't all it's cracked up to be. Sure glad I don't have to go to work tomorrow morning:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXq36duwIqg&feature=youtu.be

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2013, 01:30:00 AM »
I have wanted to tackle making one of these Bamboo backed bows for the longest time. I love the lines and the look and I can imagine shooting one is a pleasure.  Thanks Roy for taking the time to show the pics. Your pics intensified my desire to build one for myself.
As Iron sharpens Iron so one person sharpens another...Prov. 27:17

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2013, 02:32:00 AM »
That is one sexy stick... and it ain't you roy boy lol!!!

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
She sure is looking sweet, so far. How long is your riser on that bow, Mr. Roy?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©