Author Topic: First go at a lam bow  (Read 422 times)

Offline FoMoCo429

• Trad Bowhunter
First go at a lam bow
« on: July 30, 2013, 03:10:00 AM »
I have been shooting trad for about 4 yeasr now and i would like to try to make my own three piece take down recurve. I would like to get a kit from binghams, Does anyone have advice or direction they can give me? Anyone use a bingham kit? Please give all the advise you can think of as i will be starting from fresh and know nothing about building a lam bow. Thanks

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First go at a lam bow
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 07:24:00 AM »
Go slowly. There are a number of build alongs on here you can search for and read that will help you.

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
Thats a good kit to build- I can tell you for you first built a TD recurve is one of the more challenging bows you can make. Drilling and limb alignment are the toughest parts.. Glueing up limbs is easier...Look at the St Jude's build- there are a bunch of good tips there on all aspects of building a TD recurve. Have fun and ask questions.

Online JGR1269

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
Where in NY are you located? I have several T/D Recurve tools and templates you are welcome to use.

Offline FoMoCo429

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
ok. Thanks for the tips you guys. I will look at St Jude's builds. I live outside of 20 min outside of rochester in ontario. Should i be trying to build a one piece recurve and not three piece take down?

Online jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
Like Trux said, a take down recurve is challenging - especially for your first bow.  But Binghams instructional materials are really good and they have a time tested design.  Good luck.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
With all the resources available- build alongs, instructional materials you should be able to build a TD- recurves vs long bows or hybrids are a bit more challenging- I would say a one piece is any easier once you add in the differences in the two builds- like on a TD, glue ups are easier (just the glass, wedge and lams) a one piece you glue up everything at once- glass, lams and riser. Once either one is put together then you work them into a bow the same way. Lots of us started by building recurves.

Online JGR1269

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
I built my first recurve back in 1998. It was a Bingham T/D recurve and I still shoot it occasionally. It's really not that hard if you get the proper tools and spend the time building a solid, and square form. Buy a good centering jig for drilling your limbs and riser. The rest is pretty straight forward if you follow the instructions. I have my old Bingham instructional VHS tape from 98 if you want me to send it your way.

Offline Bow-n-Head

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
FOMOCO, U have PM

Offline FoMoCo429

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Bow-n-head I did not receve a pm

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
What tools do you have to work with? Tools can determine what build would be best for you. If you have a stationary belt sander, drill press and tablesaw you should be able to tackle a 3pc RC. I personally think a 3 pc is a good first build. It's way easier than a 1pc as you don't have to mate a riser insert to a curvy form and it is pretty easy to get your lams into a 3 pc form compared to a 1pc (unless the 1 pc happens to be a straight Hill style.) a 3pc also gives you the opportunity to adjust limb alignment, not so on a 1pc. I would say a three pc LB will be much more likely to turn out a shooter on your first build though. RCs are very sensitive about limb straightness and alignment compared to LBs. it is criticle to make or buy a good jig for cutting limb pockets if you go the 3pc route however. Ask all the questions you can think of first and keep us posted with some pics on your progress and you will get all the advice you need. Good luck!

Bonner

Offline FoMoCo429

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
well i have a small belt sander and a table saw. I really want to make a 3pc rc. i think i would be up for the challange. I will as more questions as soon as i do some more looking into what i want to make. thyanks for the advice.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©