Author Topic: First Bow Build.. Bendy Osage Bow Buildalong  (Read 5085 times)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Bow Build.. Bendy Osage Bow Buildalong
« Reply #160 on: August 11, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
Give it just a few scrapes at a time at the ends where I marked it above.  I'd like to see a little more movement there.  You can now start working the tips to narrow them to 1/2" or so at the nock.  You can probably round the handle slightly and maybe even narrow it a bit.  Take a pic of the handle from the side and the top and we'll go from there.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
By tips, are you saying narrow the area outside the knocks or from knocks to the tips?  

Both ends are currently 3/4" wide. Should I use a file/rasp and carefully narrow the limbs equally on each side or is there a better tool?

Here are your pics of the handle:

Belly view of the handle

Belly closest to my feet/ side view

Back View

Back side closest to feet/ side view

"There is no institution more vital to our Nation's survival than the American Family. Here the seeds of personal character are planted, the roots of public virtue first nourished."    ---Ronald Reagan

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
You can narrow the last 5" or so of the tips.  I use a rasp.

You can round the handle but I wouldn't narrow it too much.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
So does the last 5" need to be 1/2" wide or start at the 5" mark and gradually narrow to end?

For the handle, nothing more than slightly rounding the edges?

I can do that.......

Do you wear a glove on your left hand?
"There is no institution more vital to our Nation's survival than the American Family. Here the seeds of personal character are planted, the roots of public virtue first nourished."    ---Ronald Reagan

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
Start at the width at 5" and taper it to 1/2: nocks.

I don't wear a glove.  I use a wedge of leather as a rest.  Sometimes I make a floppy arrow rest.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: August 11, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
thanks, I'll have to see how you make your arrow rest.  

Should I level out the belly side of the handle or leave it as is?  It's a little uneven but it doesn't bother me.

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Alright John, I've scraped the end of the limbs some more. Here are the pics. I figured I need to get the tips where they need to be before I start narrowing them down.

Thoughts?

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
It looks really good drawn by hand.  I'd start finishing it if it were me.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
Thanks Brother John!!  So, the real question is, if it was your bow, what would you do to it? Would you scrape more or finish it?

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2013, 11:56:00 PM »
Alright, I rounded the handle. It's comfortable but I can do more if you think I need to.  I've also tapered down the ends so that they are half an inch on the ends and knock area. Here are pics

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: August 12, 2013, 07:04:00 AM »
I'd have to feel it shoot but I would likely try to get a bit more movement at the ends.  Are you at full draw?  It would help if you could mark an arrow with electrical tape at your draw length and then pull it back with to that mark and get a pic.

Stiff sections at the tip help keep string angle down and make for a smoother draw.  But they come at the price of more mass at the tips.  More mass means more thump.  You can mitigate that by making the stiff tips narrow and deep a la the Holmegard or Mollegebat designs. But that is not how this bow was designed.  It is often said that if you make wood twice as thick you will make it 8 times as strong.  But if you make it twice as wide you only make it twice as strong.  In other words, we can make narrow tips strong enough to keep from bending simply by leaving them thicker.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: August 12, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »
I'm at a full draw.  It feels pretty good to shoot. There is some thump.  I'll try to scrape some more from the tips.

Do you think I need to make the tips narrower?  They re at 1/2" now.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: August 12, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
No
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
Hey John, I'll work on the tips a bit. Does the other parts of the limbs look alright?

Also what is the finishing steps?  I'm assuming sanding.  I want a leather grip like you use with the bulked up arrow rest.  So I need some leather.  What do I need for the bow as far as finishes?  Linseed oil, urathane, etc.

Planning on taking a trip to the hardware store today

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: August 12, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
Yes.

Shape the tips some more.  They should be a blunt point.

Scrape the whole thing down to remove tool marks.  Work in a well lit area, preferably outside in the sunshine.  Sight down the bow with different light angles to really help pick up the tool marks.  Use 100, 150, and the 220 grit sandpaper.  And then look it over really good once again.  Burnish with 0000 steel wool.  One simple finish is Minwax spray polyurethane done in light coats 15 minutes apart.  Use 6 coats of gloss and then 2-3 coats of satin.  Let it cure for 3 days.  

I also really like a hand rubbed oil finish, I use teak oil.  It takes a little while longer to truly harden but it is really easy to do and also to touch up.

Then do your handle.  I'll work mine down to the same point you are at and post some pics.  I'll send you some leather.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: August 12, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
What do you mean by a blunt point?

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
Also, what is the process for the Teak Oil finish?

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: August 12, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Blunt point - as opposed to a block of wood at the end.  Pointed but not sharp.  The goal is to reduce the amount of wood at the tip.  Ideally, we would have the bare minimum for functionality and durability.  In reality we have to leave a margin of error because to take it too far risks screwing up an entire bow for the  sake of a few grams of tip weight.  Read the Traditional Bowyer's Bible Vol 1, particularly the Design and Tillering chapter.

Teak oil finish - Flood coat it with oil, let it sit for 10 minutes and then rub it down really well.  Repeat a couple times.  Let it sit for a couple weeks in low relative humidity, like an air conditioned house.  It can be repeated anytime.  Car wax also makes it look really great between reapplication coats.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: August 12, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
Thanks, whats the least shiny finish?

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: August 12, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
Another question. Shaping the tip. Should I leave the "back" side of the bow as is and rasp the belly side at an angle up to it?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©