Author Topic: First Bow Build.. Bendy Osage Bow Buildalong  (Read 5089 times)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Bow Build.. Bendy Osage Bow Buildalong
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Getting better but the right limb is too strong.  20 on the right, pretty much full length but leaving the area just at the handle alone.

10 rasps midlimb left.

Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
That's close enough to string it up.

Decent looking at a low brace.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
Here it is drawn to about 20".  Not too bad.  I'm gonna switch to a scraper from here on out.

Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
Alright, Pics of tiller string on. Looks down the middle to me......

Pics of tillering, string is pulled to 15". It was really stiff and I didn't know whether to pull farther.

Looks like the left side may be a little stiffer?

What should I do?

"There is no institution more vital to our Nation's survival than the American Family. Here the seeds of personal character are planted, the roots of public virtue first nourished."    ---Ronald Reagan

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
Leave the center alone for now.  Left limb is stiffer.  Take 20 rasps for the middle third on the left and 10 at midlimb on the right.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
You should only use the pulley.  Leaving it pulled for more than a few seconds really increases set.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
Thanks John.  Should I use a surform rasp?

Also, what are your definitions for the parts of the limbs?  ex. midlimb, middle third, etc.
"There is no institution more vital to our Nation's survival than the American Family. Here the seeds of personal character are planted, the roots of public virtue first nourished."    ---Ronald Reagan

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
I used a Surform for several of my first bows.  A Nicholson #50 is better but you gotta do what you gotta do  :)

I like to think of limbs in thirds.  Inner, middle, outer.  Midlimb is just that, the middle of the limb.  It's kinda fuzzy.  Sorry.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
OK. Took 20 rasps off the middle third on the left and 10 at midlimb on the right.

My tillering system isn't working for me. I didn't realize I couldn't hang the string, take pic, then let loose.  Don't want it to set.

Results

What do you think?

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
Do it again.  Any idea what weight you are pulling?
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
I'm getting a couple little ones ready for bed. Once I get them to sleep I will take the bow scale to it, then tiller again, (same as last time, 15 and 10) then re-scale the weight again.

Either I'm getting weaker or the thing is super stiff. It's hard to pull.  I think it was too hard for me to try to pulley it.

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
57  #.  Before tillering again

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
im not going to offer much in the way of advice... just cause I'm an amateur and John's got ya covered.  but looks to be going well so far. nothing ugly in the tiller.  id say go slow and ask questions.... but you got that already.  cant wait to see how it comes out. good luck.  i know all about bowyering around the little ones' schedule.  burn that midnight oil brother!

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
Ok, Took off 20 more on left 10 off the right. I used a Nicholson 50 rasp this time. I then put the string on and bent it 30 times before measuring and taking a pic.

Still pulling 57# on the scale after rasping. I don't notice much of a difference but.....

Prob. doesn't matter but I'm pulling it to the 17" measurement. Kinda using that as my guide for now.

What do you think John?

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
Looking good Jeremy. What part of KS are you in? And John I like the co build ideal.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
There's a spot, just outside the handle on the right (in front of the white PVC pipe in the background) that is bending a little too much.  Mark that "NO" on the belly and do not remove the writing until the rest of the bow catches up.

If it is that heavy at that draw then you need to take off weight now.  Do 20 full length rasps on each limb and then exercise it by pulling 30 times to your draw weight.  Leave the center alone for now.  Once you get it to your draw weight at 20", you can brace it.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
Thanks John, KellyG I live in Wichita.  Kelly you guys getting a bunch of flooding in Riley?

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
Hey John,  should I include the limb ends in the full length rasps or still not touch those?

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
Leave the last 6" of the limbs alone.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
Before I do stuff.  If it is at the desired draw weight at 20", am I correct that it is definitely heavier if I pulled it back to 28" (my draw length)?  

So, I don't have to fear making it too light if it's at the draw weight I want (which is around 50#) at 20"?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©