Author Topic: First Bow Build.. Bendy Osage Bow Buildalong  (Read 5094 times)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Bow Build.. Bendy Osage Bow Buildalong
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
Yes,  Assume 3# of draw weight for each additional inch of draw length.  So if it is 50# at 20" it will be close to 74# at 28".  But you never want to draw it past your desired draw weight or draw length.  

Remind me of your draw weight and length goals.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
My desired draw weight is 50# at 28".

I just did prob. 4-5 passes of 20 with the rasp. I watched to try not to take anything off that area on the right that was bending more than the other.

When I first started rasping today it was measuring 67" at 20".  After 4-5 passes on each side, it's down to 62-63# at 20".  

I wanted to post a pic of what it looks like before continuing.

What do you think?  I still see the bend, maybe worse now, on the right limb, to the right of the PVC.

"There is no institution more vital to our Nation's survival than the American Family. Here the seeds of personal character are planted, the roots of public virtue first nourished."    ---Ronald Reagan

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
Don't draw it past 50# even if that is only 10" of draw length.  You need to work it mostly at midlimb and get the weight off.  Do 20 passes and check the tiller at 10" or so.  Then check the weight.  If it's not 50#, then you can pull it to whatever draw length makes 50#.  Jusr repeat that until you are closer to 50# at 20",  Post if you have any questions on tiller.  I'm probably not gonna be online for the next several hours though.  Good luck.  You are doing great so far.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
Gotcha, so only pull to 50#.  Keep tillering, midlimb on both sides until I can get 20# at 20" draw. Then I can low brace it.  What length string should I use to brace it?  4" short of length of bow??

Should I work midlimb on both sides?  Or full limb still on the left side and just midlimb on the right?

Thanks John
"There is no institution more vital to our Nation's survival than the American Family. Here the seeds of personal character are planted, the roots of public virtue first nourished."    ---Ronald Reagan

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
Alright, been at it for a couple hours. Have to go visit the family so I thought I'd post were I'm at.

I'd like to say I feel like I've made progress but it doesn't.

I'm currently pulling 50# at 17".  It's been about at this point for the last 30 min. of tillering. I have to say, I've been removing wood though.....

Don't know what's going on.

What do you all think??

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
you are doing good, don't get in a hurry, it will sneak up on you. remember to exercise the bow after removing wood. pull it to whatever you are pulling to 30 or so times after scraping or rasping then take your picture.  a couple dollars for a pulley and cord will make this alot easier on you. then you can stand back while you flex the bow and get a better view.  also, once you brace it it will be a good time to start using a tillering gizmo, search the site if you don't know what it is.  for that, you are going to want a peg on your tree to pull the string to.  leave it on there for only as long as it takes to mark the belly with the gizmo. a couple of seconds.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
when you brace it the first time, don't brace it to a full brace height, like a string 4" shorter would give you. you want the string to be just off the belly of the bow, an inch or two at first.  what is the string you are using? is it a long flemish string with one loop? do you know what a timber hitch is?

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
answered my own question about the string by re-reading the rest of the thread.

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
Do both limbs look more equal now?

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
Yes.  It is looking better.  Keep at it.  Patience is your most effective tool.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
Another question. My tillering string stretches. I usually re-tighten everything after I rasp the limbs.  Is that what I'm supposed to do or does it not matter?

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
It's a new string, it will stretch.  It doesn't really matter a whole lot at this point.  If you have a 25# dumbell or plate, you can hang it by the string over night to stretch it out some.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Thanks John.  I got to say, this bow making stuff is fun. Kind of addictive and I'm just getting started. I think it will be a fun hobby.

John, how's your bow turning out?

I won't be able to get back on mine until the little ones are asleep.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
Jeremy No major flooding just some high water. But if the rain keeps up it will get bad.

Well keep and eye out and we try to get together in January up this way for a bunny hunt with trad bows.

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
Kelly, that would be fun!

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2013, 12:20:00 AM »
Alright, I am now pulling my desired draw weight at 20".  50# @ 20"

Here is the pic. Should I move on and what is the next step for me?  Any noticeable issues I need to take care of?

I believe the next step is a short brace but I'm not sure how to do it. (As far as what the length of the string should be. I've heard four inches shorter than bow is close to final brace height so would it be 2" shorter than bow) Also, would that be 2" shorter than knock to knock or total length of bow??

What do you think John, and Gang?

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2013, 07:08:00 AM »
start with 2" shorter than nock to nock.  You might need more since that string stretches a little more than a final string.

Right limb is a touch stiffer than left.  There is a stiff spot on the left between the framing in the background and the 6" you are leaving stiff at the tip.

I'd still just work the middle third on out a bit.  Leave the handle alone.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »
I want to post some pics because I'm afraid I'm going to mess up the bow...haha.

My target weight is 50# at 28". Last night I was pulling 50# at 20". I tried again today and was pulling the same (just to be sure I wasn't imagining things). I decided to put a low brace on it. I made the tiller string 2" shorter than the knock points. It was extremely stiff and difficult to string the bow! Once strung there was only about a one inch bend in the limbs, not very much at all....

I don't have a pic but the bow had a definite stiffness on the right side. I unstrung it and decided to shave more off. I've been shaving from both sides. On the right, where it was stiffer, the limb was noticeably thicker than the same area on the other limb. I took the rasp to that area in particular. I kept rasping the limbs and watching my pull weight.

I've stopped here. I've rasped a bunch off of both sides and have kept 50# at 20". I think the limbs are looking better. My thoughts are the limbs are still to thick and need taken down more.  Here is what it looks like now pulling 50# at 20"

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
Yes, you need to reduce the weight by removing wood evenly from both limbs.  The left limb could use 10 or so extra rasps.  Do 20 at a time after that until you get to 50# at 24" and then you might want to switch to a scraper.  You are doing great.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jeremy1517

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
Hey John, should I even worry about Bracing it at this point?

I just have the string tight along the bow, taken it off to rasp, then put it back on to tiller and measure.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©