Author Topic: little self bow help please! how would you guys approach this?  (Read 251 times)

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
on the edge of the stave when i started there was this little crack along the edge... i think from when the stave was split out.  I have been hoping that i would be able to get rid of it as i got down to dimensions.  all i have left is this little flake on the side of the limb. the flake is very thin, less than 1/16" and it terminates before the back of the limb.  I hope by my explanation and the pictures you guys can see what im talking about.  so i can't get completely rid of it without making the cross section of the limb a little different than adjacent areas... maybe not a big deal.  or maybe could rub super glue into it and leave it? what do you guys think?

on the last picture, i put white dots along the crack in case its hard to see where it is. my little crappy drawing is the cross section of the limb, and the green line is the part that would be removed if i removed the flake.  i am thinking i ought to just rasp it off, and maybe leave the limb a little thicker there.  am i thinking right?

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: little self bow help please! how would you guys approach this?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
I'd rasp that section out now while you still have the limb thickness to compensate if need be...........Art

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
thats what i figured would be the best course of action. still have plenty thickness, limbs are just barely bending. thanks Art!

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
wasn't even as bad as i thought, couple hits with  a half round bastard and clean up with the scraper, its gone.  i get so careful when it starts feeling like a bow. little things worry me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©