Author Topic: Sinew experts, looking for some advice.  (Read 214 times)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Sinew experts, looking for some advice.
« on: August 26, 2013, 07:29:00 PM »
To all the sinew junkies out there ....

I'm working on a sinew backed ERC, 58" ttt, 2" wide at the fades. Tips are flipped to roughly 3" of reflex and glued in with underlays.

Shooting for ~50# @ 25".

My question is this: I've gotten the bow to floor tiller, shaped out etc. I applied the first course of sinew last night but realized this morning that I didn't get the sinew all the way to the edge of the limb in a spot or two ... got me thiinking ...

Do I need to sinew over the corners between the back of the bow and the sides of the limb? If so how far?

Also how much sinew do you recommend? I think I laid down a pretty healthy first course. I have plenty of sinew but don't want to waste if it's not necessary. I've probably got ~5 whitetail back sinews or maybe a bit more on the bow in the first course, maybe two thicknesses along the center of the limbs.

Lastly, is one course sufficient on the stiff tip portion with the underlay? I know some people use no sinew on this portion, but the ERC stave was severly decrowned prior to sinewing so that back was definately very violated and I wasn't confident in it without some kind of backing.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sinew experts, looking for some advice.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
I sinew over the sides but then file most of it off after it is dried.

I usually try to get the thickness of the sinew to be 1/4 of the total thickness or a little more.  How much depends on a lot of stuff.  Always process at least twice maybe three times what you think you need.

I don't put sinew on the last 6" of the bow.  If it doesn't bend, there is no danger.  But one course won't hurt a lot and if it gives you confidence, then leave it.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©