Author Topic: string length question  (Read 393 times)

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
string length question
« on: August 28, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
I have been making some flemish twist strings with a jig I made from some internet searching a while back. I am starting to get OK with the loops and all but I can not get my lengths to be consistent. Seems like they always come up short. Unless, of course, I adjust and make them too long and they come out exctly the length they are supposed to be ... too long! Anybody know any good words of wisdom?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: string length question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 09:42:00 AM »
Here is a good tutorial on Flemish strings. The more you make the better you will get.

https://www.rmsgear.com/store/pc/tutorial_string_2bundle.asp

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
Make it 1/2" - 1" longer than you think you need.  Then twist up the difference.  You know you can adjust them by retwisting the loops afterwards right?
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
You do twist the entire string when it's done, right? And you do know that you can twist the entire string to make it shorter or longer, whichever the case may be?

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the link - I see a few things there that will help.

I do twist the entire string but my frustration is that it's too short to begin with so I can't twist length into it. The old "cut it twice and it's still too short" kinda thing.

It looks like I need to work on the length of the loops - that's where my variation must be. Like you said more practice.
Thanks, Mark

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 12:50:00 PM »
When you begin to start twisting up one end to start a loop, do you always measure in like 8 inches and start the loop there? I mean do you always start at the same point? The more you move in the shorter the string will be. But after many strings you will get the hang of it:)

You can't really go by the string length #'s marked on the jig, if there are any, because everyone makes a string a little different. If your string is too short, move out another hole or two and try again. I measure from string groove to string groove on the bow and then correlate that measurement to the #'s I have written on my jig.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »
Here's what I did when I was learning.  I experimented with different starting points on the  loops and just kept twisting and untwisting until I came up with a length (like 8" from the end) to start at and then a length to make my twist before doubling over to create the loop.  I settled on starting 8" from the end and 2" of twisted length.  

After that, I untwisted the string to determine the overall length of the strands required get me 1/2" longer than my finished string length.  

There is some trial and error involved so longer is better to start so you don't waste material.  You can always twist it up shorter afterwards.

If you are using B-50, factor in 1/2" of stretch.  I hang a 25# dumbbell from strings and leave it overnight.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
I have not been using a set dimension for the loop. I have been sort of winging it. That's a big part of the problem I see now. I will start that experimentation tonight.
I guess everybody in the family's getting short bowstrings for Christmas this year! I've got plenty!

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
That was it. I twisted up two strings last night and they came out great - right length and everything. I held a set measurement for the loop, counted the wraps and went one hole longer on my jig and I'm a happy guy! Like anything, attention to detail...
Thanks guys.
Mark

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
That will be $29.99 for consultation fees:) LOL glad you got it figured out.

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »
$29.99 What's the deal Roy you charged me $49.99!    :readit:      :biglaugh:
As Iron sharpens Iron so one person sharpens another...Prov. 27:17

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
Wow, I already sent my check for $59.99!

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
Cool, thanks...

Cameron, you wuz ah slow learner...

:wavey:      :biglaugh:

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 05:14:00 PM »
Roy  - you got that right. I am helping a friend of mine locally here to became a builder of bows...and it is amazing how much I have learned over the last couple years. I can save him from a heap of sorrow by passing on what took me a couple years to learn. I wished I would have tuned in to all the 'bow wisdom" here earlier.  Notice I said "bow wisdom" beyond bows...I am not so sure...   :dunno:
As Iron sharpens Iron so one person sharpens another...Prov. 27:17

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
Cameron, you are exactly correct.

The knowledge here and willingness to share it here, by so many folks, is heart warming.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©