Author Topic: asymmetrical limb tiller check  (Read 942 times)

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
asymmetrical limb tiller check
« on: August 28, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
man this really looks crazy to me at nearly full draw. tiller gizmos says ok but am i too stiff on the outer thirds?  never tillered an asymmetrical bow before, so its just throwing me off and i need second opinions. im at 42#@28".  Limbs are synced.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: asymmetrical limb tiller check
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »

Offline TimBoA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »
Looks good to me.  I'm sure many people with much more experience will chime in, but it looks like the outer thirds are working the correct amount (just a bit).  Those tips are sweet!  I'm glad it is still close on weight.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
It looks ok but I don't care for the asymmetrical looks. Just me though, nothing wrong with your bow, Eric.. Looks nice.

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
Eric, posted this on the LW too.. it looks good. Maybe a tad stiff coming out of the bottom dip. But it should be fine if you don't want to mess with it and lose more weight.

Most importantly, it's towing the line of the string hand fulcrum, maybe just a hair to the left of the line? Hard to tell in that pic. Working the dip area of the bottom limb would bring it over  ;)  But a 'slightly' stronger bottom limb is not necessarily a bad thing in a bow with a shorter bottom limb. Your limbs are still close to optimum harmony, but your bottom limb is just a hair stronger than the top (in spite of what the braced profile looks like)...

So, what do you think of this tillering method so far? How about a picture of you drawing it by hand? How does it feel when drawn by hand? Shoot it yet?

That is how I would MUCH rather see folks draw their bows on the tree... the way they'll shoot them... not drawing them from the middle of the handle.

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »
I was going to post a picture of the last recurve I did for comparison, but after I looked at it, thought perhaps I better not, it's a tri-lam, bamboo backed, with a lot of deflex, so the profile is quite different than yours, and I don't want it to mess with your tillerin' eye.

Nice work by the way. I'm working on a recurved osage selfbow right now too... VERY similar to yours   :thumbsup:

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
its not left of the line, right on it. if you can see the line in the pic you got better eyes than me!  i dropped a plumb line down from where i hooked to the string and attached my bottom pulley right on the line.  then tied the string to the pulley hook. so i just have a white string for a line. works well.  full draw pic tomorrow i promise!

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »

I think I would work the right limb in the middle and the left limb in the fade a little bit.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
John thanks!  I always like your picture magic.  seeing that, i agree, but i want your honest opinion on this, would you do it if you wanted a hunting bow, and one pound could make the difference between a hunting bow and a target bow?  what im really asking is, in your opinion, will it be just fine if left as is, even if it could be better tillered by your suggestion?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Jeff, post a picture of Raven, it's more like Eric's bow.
John how the heck do ya do that super imposed image, please?

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
Eric, ok, I was seeing things then. I thought I saw a faint dark line... maybe it was a shadow of the string or something? No, trust me, my eyes aren't what they used to be  :(  

That's even better yet, you went for it and sync'd them as best you could.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
Yes, I would but I also have about 40 bows in the queue   :)    It will be fine like that if it shoots well.

Roy, I use Photofiltre freeware.  Google it.  I copy the right limb and then paste it back into the image.  Make sure not to hit "Enter".  Right click on pasted portion and click "Paste Options" set Opacity to 50%.  Right click on pasted portion again and then hover over "Transform" and select "Flip Horizontal" and then drag pasted portion to align with other limb.  You may have to rotate it slightly.  Rotate by right clicking and hover over "Transform" and then click free...

Fine movements can be done with the arrow keys. When it's how you want it, hit "Enter".

That clear?
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
Here's the bow Roy's talking about. It's a tri-lam, bamboo, yew, osage.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
Jeff thats awesome.  was planning on trying a tri lam next, but im not 100% satisfied with this one so i may try again to make a selfbow i am really happy with.  hey  did i ever say all you guys are the best?  well ya are.  feel like im standing on the shoulders of giants.    :notworthy:

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
i mean how many bows did you guys build before you knew half of what you have taught me?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
i mean how many bows did you guys build before you knew half of what you have taught me?

Just one for me:)   :laughing:

Thanks, John. I will check it out.

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
A BUNCH...  :)

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
Roy you're an a$$!    :laughing:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
Well thanks, SquidyBoy:)

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 06:28:00 AM »
Actually, I've been timing my bow limbs since early on. It just made sense. I didn't have a thorough understanding of it back then, in fact bows still hold many lessons for me. I tried to fully comprehend everything Dean was talking about, but it just took me some time, experience, and experimenting of my own. Early on, the main thing I was trying to do was build a bow that sent an arrow without porpoising, built-in good tuning, because I reasoned that was a bow's entire reason for existing in the first place... to shoot an arrow well, but eventually I learned it was much bigger than that.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©