Author Topic: Is it finished?  (Read 439 times)

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
Is it finished?
« on: September 02, 2013, 12:30:00 AM »
So this is a 58 1/2" ntn 45@27"  Osage bendy handle that has tip overlays and a little flip.

As you can see the bottom limb has more reflex  and the top limb is taking a little set due to leaving the bottom limb too strong and going to full draw.  I weakened the bottom limb and it seems to be better but I am not sure if there is more to be done or if I should just leave it. I was shooting for 45# and it is right on. It shoots well and is quiet and feels good. I really hope it will be fine the way it is bc I want to hunt with it this fall. But if there are problems that are going to get worse, things that just need to be fixed, or anything that will make a big difference please let me know. This will be the first I have made that didn't brake or turn out light. So what do ya think?
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing."  Me

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is it finished?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 07:11:00 AM »
It looks very nice.

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
Thanks. Anyone else want to chime in before I start applying finish?
Brian Harris

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
I think I'd give that upper limb a few scrapes from midlimb out.  Does it have much handshock?
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
It didn't before the last scraping session to weaken the lower limb. I have not shot it today. It was raining. I see what you are talking about on the upper limb. I do not want to lose more weight but I may hit it just a little.  

I just figured out photobucket on my I phone or I would have asked along the way.  Get ready for  the next on bc I am going to be posting every step. I made it this far by reading you guys posts so thanks!
Brian Harris

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
A couple pics of the tips. I did scrape a little bit on that outer limb. Don't see much difference but I am going to leave it alone if you guys think it will be okay just for a hunting bow. I will strive for more perfection in the future but for now I only care that I can hunt with it this fall. I am shooting very well with it already so once I get a handle on it and get arrows perfectly tuned I think I will be good. I will post pics when I get it finished.

Brian Harris

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
It looks good. It has bit more bending in the handle (can be shocky) that I like but everyone is different. Jawge

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
Too late now. I do think I should have left the handle a little thicker,  but I'm learning. I felt it bend too much right after I overdid it.   Thanks for the input.
Brian Harris

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
She looks pretty good. I agree with John that a bit more off the mid to outter uppe limb.
 I leave the handle area thick when building bendy handle bows and bring the bend back into the handle at the last.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
I will work on that upper a little more. Do you think I can get that outside bending more without loosing weight?  Not sure how that will play out. Will I need to hit the entire bottom limb to match or can I just get that outer bit bending and the whole limb will work together better.   Like I said before this is my first bow to get close to weight and hold together.

As for the handle I did save it for the "last" but I was not as close as I thought. It only really bends at the end of the draw but I can feel it flex ever so slightly.
Brian Harris

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
I would be surprised if you lost much weight.  A well tillered bow is more efficient and puts its weight to better use so, in the end, a couple pounds of weight will not matter much.

I love the tips.  You could probably get away with narrowing that shoulder even a little more.  I think I'd go a little straight in the taper from the full width at 9" or so to the point where your overlays start.

That's gonna be a killer bow.  If you need to bump the weight up, it's a perfect candidate for sinew IMO.  But it'll certainly shoot through those skinny Texas deer as it is  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »
Thanks John. This was inspired by your posts back when I first started working on this stave. Hopefully I can finish it out and kill something with it in a few weeks.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=008693;p=1
Brian Harris

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
I remember.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
Looking  good. Bue--.

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
I narrowed the transition at the tips and scraped a bit on the top limb(need more?).  I didn't realize how much hand shock there was, much better now. Probably not perfect but it shoots nice, still 45@27. Here it is now.

Pictures by my 5yo on an iPhone so bear with me.
Brian Harris

Offline TroutGuide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
Okay trying to get this put together for hunting season and I will finish it tomorrow with helmsman spar urethane unless someone convinces me otherwise, going to Lowes before lunch tomorrow. Mostly the reason for my post though is to ask if I can and should use a modern string on this bow?  The tip overlays are very thick ringed Osage they have a sliver of a ring on the outside but are basically one solid ring. Will they stand up to FF, D97,or....? Thinking of ordering a couple spools to make a string if it will work.
Brian Harris

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
That'll do  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement