3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help me pick a hunt  (Read 1410 times)

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Help me pick a hunt
« on: February 07, 2007, 03:57:00 PM »
I'm looking for some suggestions for a 2008 hunt.  I want to do something a little different than deer and elk.  Just a little Happy 50th B-Day to myself.  The only limit I'm placing on the request is that I'd prefer to still own my house when I return from paying for the trip!

Let me know what's out there.
Joe

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me pick a hunt
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
Gosh, where to start.
Caribou
Black bear
Moose
African plains game
Asiatic water buffalo
Mountain lion
Mountain goat
All these are hunts that can be done for between $3000-10,000.  There are pluses and minuses (OK, no minuses) to each depending on how much you want to spend and what kind of experience you are looking for.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »
how about hunting in new zealand or that other place what do they call it now? oh yeah ozzi  :jumper:    :jumper:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
doctorbrady,

Moose and African plains game have my interest right now as well as a brown/grizzly.  Any experience with any bowhunts for Alaska/Yukon moose?

Offline buck-tamer00

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »
happy 50 sir!!!!!!!

ty a musk ox hunt!!!!!!
thats my dream hunt, maybe u can tell me wat the experiance will be like!!!!

or maybe a buffolo hunt!!!!
I belive kids are the future....unless we stop'em now!!!!!!!

elchen recurve bow 47lb @28"

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
Cougar

Offline CMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »
How much ya willing to spend?

Offline nanook712

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 06:31:00 PM »
High on my list is a deer & bear hunt on the Alaskan coast or P of W island< if I had more money I'd do a boat charter.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 06:41:00 PM »
A 50th birthday deserves a special hunt!  For mine, I did a DIY Alaska caribou hunt.  No animals killed, but what a great adventure.  Only problem is that it was supposed to be a once in a lifetime hunt, but I can promise you won't come home thinking that anymore!
Others on my wish list are British Columbia for moose, and Alaska spring bear hunt off a charter boat.  And just about any mountain hunt is special to me.
Have fun!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline buck-tamer00

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
musk ox!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 06:49:00 PM »
Joe,

If you have a list of hunts you are considering the only thing I can suggest is doing the hardest hunts first. A lot easier doing a sheep or goat hunt at fifty than sixty.
Jack Shanks

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
The goat Brian killed at the top of the page is beautiful.  Are there some locations where they can be hunted in the timber with OTC tags?

buck-tamer-I know you're high on those musk ox, but I'd like to come home without the family jewels frozen off, if you know what I mean?

I'd love to hunt sheep, but don't have enough pref. pts. anywhere for it to be realistic and don't want to spend 20-30K for a tag.

Whip-I think some of the TBM crew have made a few trips to BC and if I remember correctly, said the game numbers were incredible compared to that of AK.  Supposed to be unbelievable country.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
You might as well go all out. Learn to ride a horse and kill a Buffalo (Bison) just like the native Americans did. Now that would be the cat's pajamers. Alan

Offline buck-tamer00

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
OOOOOOOOOOOH, I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THAT!!!!!!
I WANNA HAVE KIDS SO IMMA HAVE TO RETHINK THAT!!!!

THEN BUFFOLLO!!!
LIIIIIIIIIIIKE,
A HUNT WITH TED NUGENT,
WOULD BE AROUND $2000.00
FOR A TROPHY BULL I THINK( I THINK!!!)

Offline northern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
Look into Newfoundland.They have huge bears ,caribou and moose.The people are the finest kind and I'm sure you will still have a house when you get back home.
If it wasn't for Hillary Blackburn I may have never found my way to the woods and the water.I miss you Puppy.Love from your grandson.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
I think Ernie Holland is still outfitting bowhunters for the MooseJohn (Alaska) moose/ caribou hunt.  Excellent grayling fishing as well.  It's a good one and not terribly high priced.

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
Joe,

The only places you can hunt for goats without entering a draw is in Alaska and the western Canadian provinces of British Columbia, Yukon and the NWT. All these hunts require a guide for nonresidents. Unless you are hunting in Alaska with a resident that is a close family member of yours.  Guided goat hunts can run from $5,000 to over $10,000. Depending on where you want to go.  

Alaska is the only state where U.S. citizens can hunt sheep without entering into a drawing for a tag. If you are not an Alaskan resident you must hunt with a guide or have a close family member that is a resident that you will be hunting with. A guided Dall sheep hunt can run from around $8,500 on up to over twice that much. Depending on where you go Alaska or Canada, Alaska being the least expensive.
Jack Shanks

Offline njstykbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
Orion,

I'd forgotten about those hunts.  Are they still a drop and pick up type hunt or do they send a guide with you?  Any personal experience with them?

Jack,

Are the non-draw areas of AK for sheep marginal in quality or just tightly controlled by the outfitter's area of operation?

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
Joe,

Some areas of Alaska have less pressure from resident hunters than others areas do. I think someone can still have a good Dall sheep hunt in Alaska but I think the odds are better for a great Dall hunt in Canada. The price of a Canadian hunt reflects this though as they are generally several thousand dollars more than an Alaskan hunt. That said, I'll be hunting sheep in Alaska this year.
Jack Shanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©