Author Topic: Sinew-Backed ERC Recurve - Repaired p.2  (Read 571 times)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sinew-Backed ERC Recurve - Repaired p.2
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »
Thanks for the reminder Art. I think I'm familiar with the fix you're talking about. I don't have a suitable piece of cedar to insert right now, and I wanted to avoid using another type of wood.

When I get the chance I will probably do the dowel fix as you mentioned and sinew wrap it as insurance. Unless I come across a nice belly lam like PD mentioned in which case I will do that.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
You could use a dark wood such as walnut, ipe or such to make it look like a knot Ben. Doesn't necessary have to be cedar.

Depending on how bad the crack is at this point will determine if you can still go with a dowel fix. How 'bout a new pic.

My computer is slow today on uploading those pics for you. Will send those to you as soon as possible...........Art

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »
I keep getting an error message on trying to send you those pics Ben. Is this to you private mail here or e-mail addy?

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
It didn;'t actually fret any farther, what happened is that the sinew tightened so much is started getting those small longitudinal cracks, and on started longitudinally from the same knot that fret ... I'll try to get a pic later.

I don't think I understand the question about the e-mail, the e-mail I sent you was from my private e-mail. If you e-mail thorugh tradgang, ti goes to the same address.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
Well I went ahead with the Torges patch. I put a piece of Yew in there. Wood database showed it is equally elastic and more stiff so I figured it was a good choice. Bow was also slightly (carefully) heat tempered, retillered, and the tips lightened substantially.

Here are some pics ...

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 03:26:00 AM »
Nice work on the patch.  Glad you could save that pretty bow.
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 06:05:00 AM »
Well done Ben.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 07:41:00 AM »
Thanks guys.

I have to be honest, I was skeptical about the patch holding.

I used the Torges method exactly as he has on his site (except I used smooth on). The patch and notch were sanded to shape with 36 grit and glued together without clamping.

I think retillering helped quite a bit too since I left that area slightly stiff.

This bow had actually increased in draw weight substantially over the winter (from about 45#@26" to nearly 60#) so when I retillered I actually ended back around 45# so I'm thrilled with the outcome.

Should make a nice blind hunting bow.

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »
Sweet looking bow, Ben. Nice repair job too!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©