Author Topic: Short draw length question  (Read 276 times)

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
Short draw length question
« on: October 07, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
My brother wants me to build a recurve for his wife for Christmas.  The problem is she's a little girl, and only has a 21" draw length.  He's wanting a 45# bow for her.  So, how many pounds do I shoot for on this bow, at a normal 28" draw length?  I'm thinking it needs to be around 60#, but my brain and a calculator don't get along, and that seems too much, but maybe not.  Thoughts?  

ps, this is a glass bow, just in case anyone is wondering.
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Short draw length question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
Why not build her a 45# bow for her draw length? You should be able to get a recipe from Binghams or one of the lam makers here on TG.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »
To be honest, I doubt she could pull 45 pounds. Maybe he should have her pull a stick bow and see what she can handle.. Just sayen..

Offline MoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 04:07:00 AM »
Why not take few of your bows and check weight at 21"? But maybe you should go further and adjust total bowlength to that draw- otherwise you`ll even loose more performance!

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
Are you sure her drawn length is 21"?

I'm 5'2" and I draw just under 25" when my form is good.

A draw length of 21" would indicate a height of 4'6" tall .... which is like in the 1 percentile of height even for a woman. Might wanna consider using the ruler test to get an accurate estimate.

Also, I'm not weak by any measure of the word, I'm probably 150lbs and I'm comfortable with no more than 45# at my draw length.

Id be shocked if she could draw 45#. I think 30# is more likely.

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
I'm not sure about the length either. That's just what my brother told me. I am also not totally sure about the 45#, although I'm pretty sure she can handle 40#. She is awful short, though. Maybe around 5' or so, but no taller than my wife who is 5'3". The problem is that this is supposed to be a surprise, so I'm not sure how to go about figuring this stuff out.
Pat, that's what I was asking about, but probably didn't word it right. I can't remember if its 3# per inch, or 2# per inch of draw. I suppose it depends on design also, but I'm just looking for a guess-timate. I'm thinking if I shoot for around 55-60# at 28", that should be close to 40-45#@21", if that's her draw.

I guess I've got a lot more figuring out to do yet. :\\
Joe

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
I'd plan on 24" draw if she's 5' tall. You'd remember if she was 4'6", there's be no question.

I think 40# is alot for someone who hasn't shot before.

I'd go for 30# and if she likes it she can go up .... if it's too much draw, or she gets bad wrist slap starting off that might turn her off to shooting.

Besides, I think most people shoot alot better with lower weight. Handling a weight, and shooting it well are totally different. Better to get the form proper first.

for a 50#@28" bow you're probably talking 2-2.5#/in so that would be 40-42# @ 24" roughly.

I know my 50#@28" recurve scales around 43-44# @25". It will vary a little bit depending on the bow and how much/how little it is stacking as it gets to 28" draw.

A 40# bow should fall at about 32# @24". Thats where I would start, or maybe a 45# @28" bow, which would give about 37#@24".

32# will still fling a 1535 GT pretty nicely ... It's not a hunting bow, but it's more than sufficient for targets and for learning.

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
LittlBen, I just read through your post fast, and that's a lot of numbers!  I understand them all, I just had to re-read them to get them all.  Skimming didn't really do me any good.  :knothead:

She does shoot now, just a compound.  Actually just took her very first deer last night!  :)   I believe she shoots 45# on the wheelie bow, so that's why I was thinking she could probably handle 40 on a recurve, even though I realize you use some different muscles with each.  But I suppose 35# would probably be better to start.  

I texted my brother earlier and he's supposed to be "measuring" her for draw length by making up some story about how she shoots her compound.  I don't know if it'll work, but hopefully it will!  I just love making these surprise bows for people.  I guess it's the "wow" factor when they open them up.  I've got big plans too:  mosaic strips and angle cut actionwood lams (requested by bro).  Purple and charcoal, I think.  Should be cool    :shaka:  
(I've been wanting to use that gramlin for a while)
Joe

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
Post pics as it comes along!

Offline Sidmand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
Take one of your lighter bows over to their house to 'show it off', and let her try it out.  If she's shooting compounds now, I am betting you could at least get her to draw one of the trad bows.  Get a measurement off of that, just explain the difference in draw length and show her what your talking about by getting her to draw the compound and measure, then get her to draw the trad bow and measure.  You will get what you need and she should be none the wiser.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »
Do the above and explain you are building a bow for another person and you need some help because you had/have not built one like this before.  Tell her you need to get an idea about draw length, weight, etc.. and have her help you design this new bow for X customer.  

Just an idea??

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
My brother actually did that the other night with my sisters' bow. She's drawing 25" and around 40# is about right for her, so that's what I'm doing. The bow is gonna be the purple camo action wood from binghams, requested my bro. I'm gonna try to throw in some purple heart if its a similar purple color, or maple with a mosaic or two. I'm kinda having a hard time coming up with a nice looking accent or two because that action wood is already so patterned. I don't want it to look too "busy", but I also don't want only action wood, cuz I think that would look too patterned.

Anyone work with an all action wood bow before? What's some good looking accents to break up the pattern other than the typical arc or canine?
Joe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©