Author Topic: Need your helpful yew harvest hints  (Read 522 times)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need your helpful yew harvest hints
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 07:07:00 PM »
Harvest Update...   :thumbsup:  

After some Elmer's glue on the ends right away, I put it on the floor of my tool shed to begin the drying process...tick, tick, tick.  

Unfortunately, I did'nt even think to check the growth rings before sloppin on the Elmers.   :rolleyes:
Lon Scott

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
good job, if you can get the bark off, and seal the back well, then you could decide how to saw it into staves- dont try and split it- it WILL run out!!
taking the bark off first will reveal in hidden little surprises, and yew is full of surprises!!

its ok to peel bits at a time, scrapers , judicious use of chisels and screwdrivers etc- but seal before you walk away!!- its ok to just do it in stages- but seal as you go
g'luck
keep us posted!!

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 12:06:00 AM »
Someone said to take a Skill saw to it from end to end, and then drive a wedge to split it.  Is that a possibility?  

Heck, I'm reluctant to start taking off the bark.
Lon Scott

Offline Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 06:44:00 AM »
Over the years I have cut something like 30 Yew trees, that is the Yew growing here in Norway (Taxus Baccata). The one you have in USA is (Taxus Brevifola). From what I have heard it is not much different. If the tree have a diameter of 6" or larger I have usually made the first split with wedges and sledge hammer, to see if there is any twist in the wood. Start from an end with a Axe. It is a bit wastefull of course, but Yew usually splits easy without runout. Further cuts I have made on the band saw, I have always left the bark on. If you get 4 staves from a 6" diameter Yew tree you are indeed lucky, it is usually some "crap" hidden inside, Even if the tree looks clean. I have dried a couple of 3" diameter trees in the round for 5 years, just to see what happens. When I split them on the band saw and was almost through one of them came apart with a bang and bent and twisted. Looks like if there is tension in the wood(any wood I think) it will not vanish if dried in large pieces. Better to cut it in smaller pieces and some will stay straight and some will bend or twist, Yew can be a tricky wood. I have also found that if dried in too thick pieces (any wood) can get tension cracks inside that are not visible from the outside before you split it open after perhaps years of drying, yack. I have many experiences with Yew wood, but this is some of them. Well, this is my two bits, for what it is worth. It is of course different opinions, but if you follow my advice I don't think you will do any wrong, at least. Bue--.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©