Author Topic: Bows breaking  (Read 371 times)

Offline Rays Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Bows breaking
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
In my reading I continue to come across bows breaking or coming to a point where they can't be shot for fear of breaking.  Is this an Issue with ipe bows, all bows, or only specific woods.  Last time I was shooting I was shooting a lot as in 60 arrows at least three days a week.  I want to build a bow that will last.  I plan to build in December hunt turkey in the spring and grouse, turkey, deer and elk in the fall.  I have only shot factory bows up until now and never had an issue.  I was planning on building a bamboo backed ipe long bow and don't have a problem doing it twice to get it write but I want a bow I can shoot a lot and shoot for years to come.
Thanks,
Ray
I enjoy the woods taking game is the icing on the cake.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bows breaking
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
What are you reading?
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
Study, take good tutelage, and use osage... you will succeed.

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
I had posted about IPE bows failing , I believe the cause was a radius belly. The flatter belly bows I built are shooting fine. The radius failed after a 100 or so shots with no notice of a problem.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »
I thought that ipe could handle a radius belly...Humm.  I have had ipe bows fail and have had them last.  I made one that is probably close to five years old and has shot A LOT of arrows and it is still going strong.  Wood is a natural material and some has flaws and some doesn't.  The failures I've had are due to me messing up something in the building process.  The more you get into building the more you will realize that if one breaks that just means you get to BUILD ANOTHER ONE...LOL  You will see what I mean after you get started.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »
Osage is the best bow wood there is...

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 06:36:00 AM »
If your dead set on making a laminate bow for your first natural materials bow I'd use osage as your belly...its going to be much more tolerant of your tillering mistakes whereas ipe won't...and trust me you will make mistakes and it will prob take more than two tries to get it right...id rather see someone make a few simpler bows(simple self bows) to get the hang of tillering before spending a bunch of  money on materials that has a good chance of being ruined....boards are cheap n easy..straight saplings of hickory,elm,oaks,maple,etc are easy to come by as well,and cost nothing to learn on...

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
Do yourself a favor and build a glass bow, problem solved.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
Glass didnt solve my problems JamesV Hahahah!! Looks a little out of tiller huh?

Offline greenfish13

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 02:46:00 AM »
Rau, I can't believe how close that looks to my PSE long bow from the 70's 80's except its a deflex bow.

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
That wood could have been to wet or clamped to tight and smashed all the glue out. Some woods drink up the glue also, need two coats and a wait between.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
Most all wood bows will eventually break if shot enough.  Its not a question of if but when.  I tried to finish one bow a year.  After several years, I have spares.  And the way I figure, more bows I have, more I spread out the wear.

Bamboo can be great, but its an organic product that wears more movement it has.  

Some last longer than others.

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by bigcountry:
Most all wood bows will eventually break if shot enough.  Its not a question of if but when.  I tried to finish one bow a year.  After several years, I have spares.  And the way I figure, more bows I have, more I spread out the wear.

Bamboo can be great, but its an organic product that wears more movement it has.  

Some last longer than others. As one old bowyer told me "its not a hobby of attachment"

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
Osage selfbows, properly built and cared for, last countless thousands of shots. My favorite osage selfbow will be 10 years old next year.

Even glass bows can fail, revealing a weak link if one exists.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©