Author Topic: How long does it typically take you - to build a bow?  (Read 735 times)

Offline NYArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
How long does it typically take you - to build a bow?
« on: October 20, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
Just curious to see how long it takes most of you guys to build a bow? I have been working on my 1st glass bow and it is taking me much longer than I thought it would.

I'm guessing that I have about 6 to 8 hours into the riser sanding. (and thats just pre glue up time)

I have found it's a bear to get the tapers sanded paper thin. Another setback I had was not sanding perfectly even across the belly side of the riser. So I was sanding to my lines but in the middle of the riser I left a small ridge / high point. Lessons learned I suppose.
Choose this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How long does it typically take you - to build a bow?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
forever. i can go to the shop some nights or on weekend and work on one bow for hours, or i mite work on one for just a few minutes. i guess my attention spand is different from day to day. time frame would depend on by type and skill level.
Kevin Day

Offline Sam Harper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
I timed myself making a glass bow once, and it took me about 12 hours, which doesn't include waiting for the glue to cure.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Offline chackworth3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
You will get faster and more precise as you do more. My first bow took a long time but now if I am just doing a bow without any riser accents I can knock one out in two days if I can get in there and work for about 8 hrs so I guess roughly 20 hrs not including glue curing times

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
It will take as long as it takes. My advice, as given to me by many on this site, go s-l-o-w. Once you remove it you can't put it back. That is why I have made soooo many low poundage bows. I get in a hurry and say "this time I will make this sucker bend" and I do. It just bends way to much. Take your time and enjoy the ride.  :campfire:

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
It takes me around 22 hrs. of labor. Of course, I don't make fg bows just backed osage bows. Also, I've been making a lot of mistakes over the last 10 months, or so.    :bigsmyl:

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
About 15 - 20 hours of hands on work outside of waiting on glue to cure and finish to dry.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
I did my first one all by hand, and I timed just the riser finishing and I had over 40 hours right there...   :coffee:
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
30 or so for a selfie...completely finished. Jawge

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
About 30 hours for BBO and tri lams.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »
Some bows take more time, like sinew-backed recurves and such, but I've tracked the time on 'standard' fiberglass bows, backed bows, and selfbows, and they all take me roughly 20 hours... give or take.

Cutting out and prepping a riser piece for say, a one piece longbow takes me about a half hour... though I've done it in half that time in an emergency and near state of panic :^)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
Yeah I agree ... it varies ... a simple and roughly finished board bow ... maybe 6 hours .... but on a more comples and/or more nicely finshed bow I find it takes between 20-30hrs of work ... that sreally just a guess though I don't count.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
Let me rephrase my answer, about three cases of Coors Light per bow.  :laughing:

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
Which brings the next point ... what does it cost to make a bow ...

$15 bamboo backing
$10 osage slat
$10 core lam
$35 coors light

$70/bow

Offline NYArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
$70 per bow is not bad. The one I'm working on is about $115.

5 Lams and a Riser add up quick....and this one's for a friend.
Choose this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
Depends...If I make a plane jane bow with domestic woods that I have on hand and grind my own lams, then probably $50 with most of that being the cost of fiberglass.  If I order lams, fancy wood, riser blocks, and accent materials then the cost will be $150 - $175.

Now if you figure in the costs of other needed items (e.g. hot box and other tools) the cost would be more.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline NYArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 06:40:00 AM »
I have a good deal of hickory, walnut, elm and maple...maybe I should plan on making some of my own lams. My only problem is I have a cheap harbor freight belt sander that I'm not sure is up to the task.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
even a cheap belt sander should be ok. I know Sam Harper has some info on his site about using his belt sander as a lam grinder.

Even a cheap machine should have a very round and even drum on the motor side of the belt. Most motors will have a very small runout in the bearings/bushings ... probabyl well within the tolerances needed for grinding lams, and since the pressure is always from on side, most runout should be eliminated I think.

Give it a shot, what have you got to loose other than some time and a bit of material.

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
I can make a 1pc in about 12 hours if it's plain Jane for about $80. A fancy rig takes twice as long and can cost 3 times as much.

Bonner

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Hmm I work on them here and there and it takes me 6 months or so. That is not counting the cutting and debarking time either.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©