Author Topic: Bandsaw Question  (Read 852 times)

Offline Raf

• Trad Bowhunter
Bandsaw Question
« on: October 22, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
Hi all, I'm fairly new to bow building, and so far, I have a few handtools and was thinking about picking up a bandsaw.

I don't have a ton of cash at my disposal, a local is selling a close to new 9" delta bandsaw for $40, would that do the job? I am starting off just doing board bows and am working on my first (68" red oak board bow).

So far, I have a surform rasp, a nicholson 4-way file, a handsaw and an antique draw knife (Works great!)

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bandsaw Question
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
For just board bows the 9" will just do the job.

Most of the guys are going with about 14" and between 1 and 2 hp motors.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline ordcorpdw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
My first was with a few hand tools...bought a band saw and still not good enough with it to trust myself to not jack up a nice piece of wood. Hand tools keep it slow and safe...hard to put wood back. Just my two cents..

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Raf, I have a 9" Ryobi bandsaw. It doesn't do well with split staves. It does do well with boards, bamboo, hickory backings and thin material.
However, I had to replace the factory blade with a larger blade more suited for cutting heavier material. It still isn't stout enough for my osage staves but it will handle osage boards I order from Pine Hollow or 3 Rivers.

$40 is a good price if it is in working order.

Offline Sam Harper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
My thoughts on bandsaws:

http://poorfolkbows.com/bandsaw.htm
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Offline TheZK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Any recommendations for bandsaws that are neither a $600 Grizzly 14" nor a $40 9", but are somewhere in between?

Offline Sam Harper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
Wow, that Grizzly has gone way up since I bought mine.  I think I got mine for something like $425 a few years ago.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 05:52:00 AM »
Get the biggest you can afford. My 14 in. Jet has served 9 years with 0 problems.
High on Archery.

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
Look on Craig's List for band saws in your area. I looked for a friend in Ms and found 10 or 15 within 50 miles of him, most for $100 or less.

One you will see for sale often is a 12" older Craftsman, 1/2hp and a very good saw for the beginner. These are American made, take up to a 1/2" blade and will cut about anything if you have a sharp 3tpi blade.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Grizzly tools has a pay me later plan. You have 6 months interest free to pay off any tool you purchase. Once you start building bows, you will build more and more. You may as well buy a good saw from the start then you will be happy with it.

Offline TimBoA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
Although I would love a Grizzly, I second the Craigslist 12" Craftsman.  I got mine for $75 and it has been great, especially with a Timber Wolf blade.  Some sort of high quality blade is a must to get the most out of the saw.  A bit more oomph would be nice on Osage staves, especially green ones, but it works if I don't push it.

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
I started with a 9" bandsaw and I thought wow this works great and it did for the laminated longbows I was building most of my work was cutting out the risers and cutting the limbs to shape. Then this year I purchased a 14" Grizzley saw and now I know what a bandsaw is capable of. For me there is a difference and for making multiple longbows I think you will eventually want to have a 14" with some more power...Enjoy the new adventure of bow building...it is awesome!
As Iron sharpens Iron so one person sharpens another...Prov. 27:17

Offline Raf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 02:31:00 PM »
Thank you for all the advice. After reading what most people are saying, I have decided to stick with my hand tools and take my time before diving head first into a bandsaw.

Since I am planning on building more than board bows in the future, I will just wait and save up for the Grizzly 14". There is a 30th anniversary addition for about $450 at the moment and I can drive down to Springfield, MO to pick it up from the show room. It will take some time to save up for, but it will be worth it. As for the 6 months payment plan, it looks very appealing as well. But if I am reading correctly, in order to be approved for a payment plan, the initial order will have to be $2000 and up and the orders following be $50 and up.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 02:51:00 PM »
Unless they changed things, I bought an edge sander for $954.00 under their pay me later plan, 5 months ago. I have a pay pal account and the pay me later was I believe connected to it some how, but I'm not sure on that part. Fire them an email and ask them, or call them. But yes, take your time and buy a good band saw...

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
Roy i think you guys are talking about "bill me later"  which is a Paypal service. i used that for my bandsaw a while back.  not sure if grizzly themselves have a payment plan or not.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »
Raf, if you get talked into a Grizzly,   :thumbsup:    i got the ultimate 14" bandsaw and i saved almost a hundred bucks by getting the "Polar Bear" series (translated: white paint job vs green)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »
Ya that's it, bill me later.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
I have a 12" craftsman and to be frank.... It stinks!   The saw is fine,  the guide pins and bearing setup is junk!   Without them ;(or some way to replace them) the saw is untuneable.    Before it I had a bench top delta model that was even worse!

The 14" craftsmen is a nice setup.   My buddy rips veneers on his easily.   Along with glass  bow work .

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
You might want to check out the Steel City bandsaws as they are as nice as or better than the Grizzly for less money.  But remember no matter what saw you decide to get, you need a good blade and they aren't cheap.  A lousy saw cuts better with a good blade, but a lousy blade on any saw still cuts lousy.

Offline Raf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
Thanks, I gave them a call. The minimum order is $250 and it is upon credit approval. I know I will get approved but the lady says no bandsaw in the apartment, not until we get a house,    :banghead:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©