Author Topic: Ideas for next year's BOWSWAP!?  (Read 1479 times)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Ideas for next year's BOWSWAP!?
« on: October 24, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
Well, I hope this doesn't end up rubbing anyone the wrong way, and certainly that is not my intention, so with all due respect to everyone who has participated in years past, here goes:

I think we need to reconsider (slightly) the rules and timline for the bowswap.

Originally it was a 6mo timeframe, then added a 1mo grace period. We're currently approacing 10mo total running time with bows still being made.

None of this is life threatening, but I think it would benefit the swap if we could make an effort to control the stretching of the timeline.

I would like to hear what other people think about how to reign in the timeframe for next year.

Canopyboy had mentioned in the 2013 swap thread that reducing the timeline could help procrastination, and reduce the total time to finish the swap. I think this is a good idea, but I also think that 6mo is a reasonable time, if we can truly wrap things up in that time period. One problem with having the swap run for a year, is that the organizers/volunteers liek KellyG, just end up working al year long every year on this and that's not cool for them, and won't motivate people to volunteer. The swap is impossible without their dedication so we owe it to them to make things run more smoothly.

I would suggest considering the following:

Start on or near Jan 1st as previously, Ship by corresponding day in July. However I would suggest adding the rule that if you have not shipped by 1mo after the shipping date (i.e. the end of the 1mo grace period) you MUST ship the bow you have received, or if you ahve not received yet, your bowyer will be instructed to ship DIRECTLY to your recipient.

Also after the last day of the Grace period, all bowyers and their recipients will be posted, so everyone knows who's bow is going where.

Any arrangements between recipient and bowyer outside of this would need to be made directly between those two people (the bowyer who is late and the recipient who is still waitin). In other words if the recipient is willing to sit there and continue to wait, they can make that decision, but unless the recipient spoecifically states that they are willing to wait for their bowyer (the late bowyer), the bow received or to be received by the late bowyer WILL be forwarded.

The whole purpose here is to ease the strain on the moderators ... Once the late bowyers and recipients are announced, bows will be forwarded as necessary, or they can work it out individually and only need to go to the moderators for any disputes.

Any other ideas, or thoughts on this approach are appreciated. I'd really liek to see a swap where everything resolves in the summer, and everyone can get there bow by hunting season with time to tune and practice if they wish to do so.

Thanks.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ideas for next year's BOWSWAP!?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
I agree totally with the names of the boyers and their recipients being posted.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
I have no dog in this particular fight Ben, but a similar one. 6 months is a crazy long time to build a single bow no matter what life deals you. If that time frame feels threatening to a person, don't sign up, walk away from the light. Also, Im a one strike guy. Ship late once and your done in all future swaps. Its ALL about respecting other folks in the swap and especially those who facilitate the swaps. Its no fun chasing people down 8,9 & 10 months later for a single bow. I need to shut up, Im getting mad.

That's my 2.3214 cents on the matter.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
As someone who went into and a bit beyond the grace period, I will say that prcrastination is a part of the problem.  Other things reared up in my case, but those "things" would have reared up in the case of a shorter timeline as well and still would have been handled.

So, I think we could continue as in the past  but put the shipping deadline in the 90 day range.  And, as PEARL said, if ya can't handle it, don't sign up!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
Just so you know. Ive been in 3 bow swaps and shipped 6 bows, and received 2. That's why Im as hard about it as I am. I wont sign up for another or facilitate one. But Im glad to throw my change in the pile to make future go rounds better for anybody involved.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
Ok Keep the ideals coming, we might find a solution that will work.

But I know one who is shipping late to know fault of their own, with out making a super long thread, it was admin errors topped with folks with drawing.

Stiks and I take the late ones on a case by case. I try to communicate with all who have not gotten bows and let them know what I know.

I think one thing I will run by stiks is at the end of the is asking who wants to know who and let them decide. What?

The main thing on my end is for folks to communicate. If they do that I try and work with them.

The last two swaps we only had one person not ship that received and they where from ones who have shipped on time in the past.

But I like the dialog and might find some really good things to add with out to much red tape.

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
Why not designate a set shipping date or days (say three) for everyone. All bows will be shipped during that time frame. It's no problem to stick a ready to ship bow in the rack while waiting for the set shipping date/dates if you finish early. All it would take to keep everything in line would be posting a simple note stating your finished and ready to ship. If you can't finish and don't post, don't expect to receive anything.

Troy
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline NYArrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
Troy has a great idea. Why not do a bow swap where the bows are made in advance? Sure not everyone will be able to customize to the recipients specs...but it would make the the whole process easier to manage and much more punctual. Also if the specs are pre-determined it will eliminate any folks that lie outside those parameters. ie. 45lb bow @ 28" (length, material and accessories are variable)

Or reduce the process to a lesser time frame and require participants to agree to a binding contract. Then any dirtbags that can't hold up their end of the deal are financially responsible for shortchanging others. Additionally, maintaining a black list for bow swaps / etc. would be beneficial. Once an individual does not produce as agreed, they are blacklisted from future swaps of any sorts.
Choose this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
Joshua 24:15

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
Troy's idea sound excellent.  It would then be like
Christmas for all at once.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »
I'm wiff Troy

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
I like Troy's idea as well. A flurry of bows being received would be interesting and fun. I would also like to keep the swap mostly the way it is. I.E. giving our desired specs and not knowing who builds for us.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline mjwhitby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
X2 Troy's idea

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
I just thought of something that might cause a problem. If everyone were to send all at once, this might open a door for a freeloader who would be able to receive a bow and not send one out.
Sorry, I don't mean to be a downer.
Would there be a way to prevent this?
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Not a bad Idea. We tend to do something similar now. By asking folks to hold bows for the new folks in the swap.

I think I will compile a few of the ideals has they come along.

And maybe ask stiks and some other what they think. I really want to use the KISS method (keep it simple stupid)

but this year was the worse one about folks going into the grace and beyond. Not the longest but the most.

What I don't want to happen is this over shadow all the great things that come out of the swap.

I mean over since 2011 (my first year tracking) there have been 231 bows made and shipped to almost every state and 4 different countries (Canada, Switzerland, Turkey and Australia.

With only 6 Receiving a bow and not shipping and 4 of those were in 2011, 2 from last year and only 1 so far this year. So roughly 97.5% who enter do so and come through. With the help of other we get bows done to cover for the others. And I will not let us not be 100% if I know about someone not getting one.

So I really mean it when I say thanks to all of you who help us be this GREAT!

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
I like Troy's idea as well as Pearl's.

I am guilty of being late but would hate to be booted from participating in future swaps. That "threat" would probably make me more diligent.

Perhaps a more harsh consequence would be motivational.

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
How about 2 swaps? One for those who have participated and shipped on time, someone like Kelly ( if he still has the time and desire)could run this swap and it should be nice and easy, all new comers and people who did not ship on time ( July) no grace period. Will have to be in a beginner swap to prove themselves. After names have been received the beginner swap, this swap could be a little more managed by its participants. If you do not ship by July in the veteran swap you move to the beginner swap next year, if you do not ship by July in the beginner swap you are then banned. Everyone will run a risk of not getting a bow in the beginner swap but once you prove yourself , you should be set for as long as you follow the rules....
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
I don't know if there is any golden solution.  Yes, life does get in the way of well laid plans, and a couple late bows are understandable, but it seems as though life is getting in the way of more and more people each year. C'mon guys, the length of time folks are waiting for their bows is beginning to be equivalent to the wait time for a custom bow from a popular professional bowyer.

I think the deadline should be moved up - say end of April. Winter is really bow building time and as spring/summer approach there are more distractions.  If you can't hop on building your bow in the winter and get it done in a four month period maybe you just shouldn't sign up.  

Life does happen and if your late, you shouldn't be banished for life, but maybe forced to sit out for at least one year.

I don't care for the idea of making a bow in advance and then finding out who you will ship to.  Most of the fun of the swap is customizing the bow for what your specific recipient might like.  Also, we'd run into problems with right vs. left handed folks and folks who can handle heavy bows vs. light bows.

I've gotten lucky in the three years I've been in the swap with never even coming close to the deadline on either shipping or receiving.  Heck, I was the first to receive a bow this year and I shipped the bow I built out in March.  So I've had it good.  However, I must admit that I have thought about not getting in the swap next year just because the time this thing drags out each year is a bummer.  Not that I'm afraid of not receiving a bow, but it just detracts from the experience and gives the feeling that some don't take the commitment they signed up for as seriously as others.

Just my $0.02
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 07:14:00 AM »
Let me see if I can clear up a few things I may have missed in my first post.

Hold the draw for names as usual. No one will know who has their name. The builder will have the specs and know what they are to build or atleast close to.

When you post the bow is finished and ready to ship, simply post a pic of it as well. That way it will prevent the laggers from just saying so.

I know some may not have the ability to post pics, but I'm sure someone out there can help them out.

Like I said before, if you don't post that the bow is ready and show pics, then the organizers can contact the person who is supposed to build the bow for you and try to work something out with the person you are supposed to build for.

By doing something along these lines, atleast everyone that post and show will know they will have something coming in a timely manner.

I'm sure this want cure all the problems, but it should help a little.

Troy
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
I think Troy's idea is great.  What it does is make the deadline a BIG Frickin' Deal!  That will get the attention of us procrastinators.  Who wants to be the guy that doesn't ship during the big week?  I think designating the last week in June or thereabouts as Ship It Week would be great for all involved.  Something to really look forward to that will help keep everyone on track.  Heck, what about making it June 25th?  6 months from Christmas?

As for newcomers and those who might try to get a bow and not reciprocate?  I don't know, there's always those types in life.  If we worry too much about them, we ruin our own enjoyment of the 97% that is good.  Besides, I'm in the swap for the making and giving part, not the receiving.  My personal vote is to simply ban those who don't come through from future swaps.  There are plenty of people here (myself included) who would make a second bow to make sure no deserving bowyer gets shafted.

There will still be a couple of people who have unforeseen issues with either their bows or their lives come up.  If they know it as the ship date approaches, they can make arrangements with the organizers: either redirect the bow for them to their recipient if they think they simply can't make it happen soon, or give their recipient the option to know who their bowyer is and wait for them to come through.

Another thought for newbies (would be an added burden on the organizers): we could require that everyone check in the week prior to The Ship Week with confirmation that their bow is done, complete with a picture. (There is always help for those that have trouble posting a pic.)  If your recipient is on the newbie list, you need to double check that they've posted (or told the organizers) that they are in fact ready to ship themselves before you send. They could still not ship, but I don't think many really are that devious.  I think most just don't get around to or have trouble making a bow that works, but aren't honorable enough to man up to the fact.

Anyhow, to repeat: I think everyone shipping at once would be awesome. I think it would help the current dragging on (which will only get worse next year if nothing changes.)  But I also think that the excitement will go through the roof, just like in January when we all await our recipients' names so eagerly.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
well... i hope it stays alive.  i have been wanting to get in on it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©