Author Topic: Ideas for next year's BOWSWAP!?  (Read 1478 times)

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ideas for next year's BOWSWAP!?
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
I wouldn't worry about that Eric.  I'm quite sure it will be alive and strong for many years.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
Glad so many people have chimed in here.

I think most of us agree that Troy's concept is good. I think one of the best aspects is that it's simple, and shouldn't require any more work.

But I do think that we should shorten the time frame, but I guess thats more opinion than anythign else.

Eric, Like Dave said, I;'m sure the swap will continue, my goal in posting was to try to make sure the next swap is BowSwap 2014, and not Bowswap 2014-2015.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
Troy's concept is good and I'd be up for that - everyone shipping at once.  However, I can foresee quite a few folks not done with their bows and the organizers needing to scramble to figure out who's bow is going to who.  In the end, it's still a deadline that people need to make the commitment to meet.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
As one who has pushed the deadline a couple of times, here are my feelings.  

Shorten the build period to three, or at most, four months. If there is a definite deadline most everybody (including myself) will make it happen.  As mentioned by others, bow building is then kept in the bow building season.  Personally, I'd prefer it to start in December and be due March 1st.

I really like the idea that everybody ships at the same time.  It creates a concrete deadline.

The current Trade thread is nice, but I quit following it after the end of July; figured if the builder was not interested enough in getting their bow done, I wasn't interested looking at it.  Unfortunately, the recipient is the one who doesn't have the enjoyment of sharing.

Personally, I have received nice bows every year.  However, I do not care what I receive, for me it's mostly about building something out of my usual comfort zone that fits the recipient.

Regardless, I will be in the trade next year, whatever the of the rules.

Kelly, I will send you a pm.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
I hope everyone remembers that by shortening the building time it could cause problem for fellows like myself. I do my spraying in my garage and the temp has to be atleast in the 60's for things to work right. Some of the northern states may not hit that temp until May.

Troy
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
Well I can assure that short of somthing tragic on my end I will be up for doing it again. I don't know about stiks he had a very ruff year and a move. So we shall see on his front.

I don't think a short dead line will help. The only problem with the ship at once date I can see is if the you build a lefty bow and the next guy or gal is a righty. Or the specs are way off. That could causes some issues.

I could track who posted pics easy enough and is done. I think that if that rule goes in place that the late shippers go in another pole and ship to each other.

I will ruminate on this ideal and run it by stiks also. He is the founder of this swap.

I am glad to see that most remember that this swap is to get more new bowyers building. And the fellowship.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
We can still post our desired specs as well as our wishes/preferences when we sign up for the swap. Then the names can be drawn as usual and we can build towards a one week mailing period for all bows.
I don't mind shortening the deadline a bit, but I would also have problems finishing a bow in cold weather as I work in an unheated garage.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 02:28:00 AM »
I don't know what the answer is for controlling the late bows. In my opinion, 6 months is plenty of time to make a bow. But it continues to happens every year. And even if the time allotment is shortened, even if new rules are created, it's still going to happen every year. It's just something we all have to deal with, and like Kelly mentioned a while back, the good far out weighs the bad. I do feel that first timers should be paired with other first timers. Especially those who are fairly new to making bows.  Seems to me that some guys are trying to make bows to participate in the swap, even though they have limited experience making bows.  I'm thinking they are getting in over their heads, and the frustration of meeting a dead line, causes them to error while getting in a hurry. Thus they get behind and need to start another bow. Bottom line is, it's supposed to be fun and it's better to give than receive.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
As someone who would love to get into this, I hesitate because I'm the worlds worst procrastinator.

I would like to make a suggestion though. Since Roy likes thumpin, make him the official thumper. If someone runs past the deadline, send their address to Roy, and let him do his thing.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
I would like to make a suggestion though. Since Roy likes thumpin, make him the official thumper. If someone runs past the deadline, send their address to Roy, and let him do his thing. [/QB][/QUOTE]

:goldtooth:    :goldtooth:
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by 4runr:
As someone who would love to get into this, I hesitate because I'm the worlds worst procrastinator.

I would like to make a suggestion though. Since Roy likes thumpin, make him the official thumper. If someone runs past the deadline, send their address to Roy, and let him do his thing.
You will need to appoint an assistant for Roy, in case some younger folks are in....  :laughing:    :laughing:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »
I've been in this for the last two swaps. I have received late both years and this year I will be among the last to ship.

How about anyone who has been late in any of the swaps gets less time (say two months less than normal) in the next years swap if they want to try again. Kind of like a penalty for tardiness.

Leave all the other rules the same just give any late shippers less time, then if they don't ship by the earlier date they are out for that year. This will give the rest of the group plenty of time to finish up the swap.

In my opinion there will always be late shippers no matter what you change due to the nature of building with some of the materials and of course to procrastination or normal life curve balls.

I think the more important thing is making sure anyone completing a bow gets a good bow regardless if it is on time, after all this is about FUN right?

Being in these swaps has pushed me to create better bows. I have two almost complete that I deemed not good enough for my recipient due to flaws that may be fixable; however, the third one is looking really good right now.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »
McKenzie, yer back at the top son:)

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
Sport I think you might be onto something.

We tried the you can't receive until you ship thing if you were new are a late ship. But you can get string of them in a row. So Stiks and i have to end up telling some of the to go ahead and ship or the whole thing gets clogged up.

I am not saying it will be a rule but lets say all new folks and late shippers had to have there bow shipped 30 days prior to all others.

And let them have a 2 week grace if not shipped we skip them and they come back and try another year.

That might keep things going.

But I have had 2 that always shipped on time and heck I know one even made extra bows not come thru back to back years. (1 last year and 1 this year) both are on my banned list.

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »
Being a first-timer I would have to say that procrastination was indeed my biggest hurdle. Troy's idea sounds good, as does merely shortening the build time allowed. After my experience, there is PLENTY of time to finish a bow. Too bad Pearls (and other bowyers I'm sure) have dropped out of this and other swaps because of the poor decisions of a few. Whatever changes are made, I hope that Kelley and Stiks make things easiest for them. They truly are the heart and soul of this swap. Thanks again boys !    :thumbsup:

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2013, 01:59:00 AM »
This was my first year and I gotta say, I'm all for shortening the build time.  When I first read "six months", my mind initially went to the thought that I had plenty of time, no reason to rush.  However, I made myself get to it as soon as possible and started building by the end of January.  Six months is a really long time to build.  Maybe four months would be better.  I definitely like the idea of a "ship week".  It would really get the excitement flowing, not knowing who has already shipped, or who is still waiting.  Having everyone ship at once would really make it a surprise for everyone.
Maybe, instead of having a different completion date for newbies and late shippers, just have them check in 1 month prior to the ship week to check progress.  If no progress has been made, give them a 2 week warning, that if they're not going to make the deadline they're out, and re-route their bows.  And if they say they will make it and don't, then ban them for a year.  It may make for some fast re-routing the week before ship week, but it would allow everyone to get a bow that week for sure.
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2013, 06:46:00 AM »
How about the latest batch of 3 people from the prior year can facilitate the following years swap? Its an eye opener. Something else Ive noticed, folks signing up and THEN trying to learn how to make a bow. That's just not right.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
Pearl that sucks.  I am hesitant to sign up this year because im still new, and while im getting to where i can build a half decent bow, none of them are time tested.  I want to be sure that if im giving a bow to someone its a good one.  all you have to do is look at the quality of bows on the swap thread, and if you have an ounce of common sense, you shouldn't sign up if you can't (or don't know if you can) build a solid bow.  i assumed it was understood, but maybe it just needs to be spelled out in the rules, you know, an honor system.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
I'm with PD on this too. The bow swap is probably not the place to learn HOW to make a bow.

I mean everyone has one that explodes from time to time. Heck I must have had 3 bows fail this year. But I also completed 4 successful bows including my swap bow, and conpletely retillered/reduced weight and refinished a glass bow. You've got to be able to reasonably expect you can deliver.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
The way I see it Ben, we can sit around patronizing or we can speak the truths. In my 41 years of living I found speaking the truths to be more helpful for the majority.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©