Author Topic: new member with some questions  (Read 842 times)

Offline Rdog

• Trad Bowhunter
new member with some questions
« on: October 25, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »
This is my first post, I am a novice to archery and bow building, but want to get into it as much as I can.  In the past I have had a couple of compounds and did some bow fishing growing up in south Florida, but now I'm getting back into archery with traditional gear after a 19 year hiatus.

I am interested in making as much of the gear as I can, with hope of bow hunting deer with it next year, or as soon as possible.

I started to work two board bows, but have a simple question before I get too far.  When do you transition from a long string tiller to a short string? And is the short string the same length as the finished bowstring?

Thanks for any help.
-Rob.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: new member with some questions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
Rob, I floor tiller to about 4" of tip movement. If all looks well I long string tiller(string just bow length) until I get 6" to 8" of tip movement. If all is well I add the short string(regular bow string) at low brace of 3" to 4". Now you can really see if the limbs are bending evenly and together and how the string tracks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
welcome!  different people do different things, and im kinda a newb too, but i have learned alot from the guys on here.  you want to get your tips moving to about their braced position... or where they will be when they have the real string on them.  about 6" or so lower than where the handle sits.  then go to the short string.  i usually try to brace it at about 1 or 2 inches the first time, but if the first try ends up at 3 or 4 i say thats ok too.  once you get to the mid stages or so of tillering, i go ahead and take it to almost brace height... say 5 1/2 or 6".  it would behoove you to buy a roll or two of b50 (its cheap) and learn to make a flemish string (its easy)  that way you don't have to worry about ordering the right string length over and over again.  by the time you buy 3 strings you could have bought b50 and made yourself a hundred for the same price.  best advice i can give you is to post lots of pictures during the tillering process, and listen to the guys who know what they are talking about.  they can't help you after you screw it up... but they can sure stop you from doing it.  you will end up with your own list of trusted people, but Roy from PA and Bowjunkie (and others)are at the top of mine, and they won't steer you wrong.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
Good advice.
There are many with proper,advice.
Another I like getting posts from is Pat B.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »
X2 What Past said.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
Watch the DVD by Gary Davis, very straight forward and easy to understand.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
Pat has you heading in the proper direction.

Offline Rdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
Hey thanks for the answers, that helps  me a lot.

Looks like I need 3-5 more inches of travel with the long string (using 550 cord) I'd guess I am half way to brace height...about 3 inches at the moment, and with the stretch of 550 cord I'll aim for a little more than is really needed.

I am hoping for about a 50# (its a Mollegabet) out of red oak.
I put a scale on it today and it was 50# half way to brace height.

As for the string, unless there is something just wrong with a continuous loop, that's my plan.  
I picked up some B55 and serving string/jig already, and have practiced tying/serving some jute string.  I think I can handle that, the flemish string is a bit intimidating so far.

I'll try and post pics ASAP.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
Rdog the flemish looks harder, but its actually alot easier.  i used to make endless loop... until i learned flemish.

Offline Rdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
For those of you who have built Molly bows before, is your working limb all the same thickness, or is a sort of (for lack of a better word) bowed, i.e. is the center of the working limb the thinnest section?

I have been working on the tiller, and it seems my gizmo (if I even am using it right) always makes contact about 1 1/2 inches in from the fades.

the block I am using as a gizmo is 3.5" long, if that matters...don't know if it is supposed to be a certain length?

It seems that the working limb is not bending, should I concentrate on scraping the entire working limb including the fades, or just inside the section that is not bending (1.5 inches in from the fades)?

Also, is there a trick to posting pics, i don't see an attachment link...

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
Rdog the gizmo is usually 6" long but a shorter on will not hurt.

The reason a flemish is better then an endless you you can use the same string from start to finish. Make it as long as the bow with one loop, then but a bowyers knot on the other. You can shorten it as you go. (Pat B's Ideal)

I would suggest you get rid of the 550 cord ASAP. I used it on my first bow and the stretch in that stuff really miss leads you. I was almost to a full draw length using it as a tillering string before it would brace. I did not know it until I put a string on it and was really surprised I was almost done. It really could have caused the bow to come in light if I had a lot of bad spots or issues left.

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
You need to use a photo sharing site like Photobucket and copy and paste the img code to post pictures.  Never made a Molly; bet someone who has will give you some advice.
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
What length of bow? What width?

what is your draw length? what is your target weight?

Red oak, I would argue is not ideally suited to a mollegabat design because you're restricting the bending to a small portion of the limb.

in addition to pictures, we'd need this info to give more specific advice.

What is the total bow length?
what is the handle length?
what is the length of the bending section fo each limb?
what is the length of the stiff outer section fo each limb?
what is the width of the limb in the wide bending section? at the fades and at the end of the bending section.

what is your draw length? If you're not absolutely sure, then what is your height?>

I'm thinking that for red oak to make a mollegabat, you'd need to be around 66-68" in length, 2.5" wide in the bending section, the bending section being at least half of the total length of each limb, to get near 50# @ 28".

This is just a guess though. Also a molegabat is a great design but you will need to make sure you reduce the excess mass on the outer stiff portions of the limbs in order to see any of the benefits. If they'er left really thick like clubs, you will still get alot of handshock and not much speed.

I'd generally recommend a pyramid design for the first bow and also for red oak, wide and long. I think it's easiest to tiller.

Offline Rdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »
63 1/4" N/N
6" handle
14" working limb
12" non working
2" fade between working and non working limbs
1.5" fade at handle
3/4" square non working limb (being shaped down...if I can tiller the bow these will be oval and a bit thinner)
Working limb is ~1/2 thick at the moment.

Offline Rdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
Oh, 28" draw, hope for 45-50lbs but I'd rather it shoot at 35# than break at 50#.
I also think it should have been longer.  next one will be.
Actually I am building two bows at the same time, the other is 70" something long...

next bow will likely be a pyramid.

In picture, left limb is a bit stiffer, and I'd say it needs another inch to be at brace.

Offline loneviking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 02:16:00 AM »
I'm curious as to how the bow is progressing. I'm making a Molly for my first bow, also out of a Red Oak board with very straight, narrow grain.  

My dimensions differ from yours a bit with a working and static limb of the same length of 14"   2" Fade between working and static limbs. 2" fade between handle and working limbs.  I'm working off a pattern by a fellow over on YouTube that's made several of these Mollys from different types of wood.

Offline Rdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
Hi, thanks for the interest...We likely were motivated by the same guy, how my dimensions changed I guess were by slight accident.  when I wanted to add a built up handle I was confused as to how it affects the location of the fades.

Anyway, its coming along slowly.  It seems I only get time to work it a couple hours every two days or so.

I have it bending a few inches more than the last photo.  I think I need the short string at this point.  

I am still new to making strings (well, I'm new to it all really) But I am still making practice strings (out of jute string)before tying the real bow string material I have.  Good thing as the last attempt to make the short string ended with one loop far to small.  So I am still using the long string I made up.  I twist it to make it as short as I can but its still too long.

I noticed one limb was not getting the same bend and have been trying to get it to catch up. I put a straight edge from fade to fade and measured at the center of the working limb...it was about an 1/8" less than the other, but I think its close now to even.

fingers crossed, I'll do some more on it today.
I'll post more pics when I can.

Offline Rdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »
here is a pic from the other day

this is from today, getting a little better, but so far its just been getting to brace,now I guess the real tillering starts.

Its a bit hard to see things with my background and the leaning setup I have (I'll blame that if this thing fails on me!)

From what I can tell the limbs from the center  out to the outer fades are a bit stiffer, and I think the bottom limb is still just a bit stiffer than the top.

I really need to make a real string, hopefully I'll get the chance tomorrow.  I tried to make another practice string out of jute, and served it with the same string for practice, but its too thick.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
FWIW, I use #36 Mason's line for temporary and bastard strings, even strings for kid's bows.  It has a breaking strength in excess of 700#!  One strand worked well for my 300# crossbow until I had the prod 'right' and ordered a custom string for it.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline Rdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
I'll look into the masons line, thanks for the tip.

I do have a new question for anyone who can answer it, whats a ballpark measurement for working limb thickness on a red oak Molly bow for 45-50# @28"

I suspect at around 1/2" its a bit heavy for my target weight.

I'm afraid to rasp too much and as a result I fear I am moving at a snails pace.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©