Author Topic: Dust collection????  (Read 832 times)

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
Dust collection????
« on: October 26, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
A few days ago I bumped into a new Grizzly 1531 edge sander on Craigslist for $360.  Couldn't pass up a deal like that, but it certainly amplifies the need for dust collection in my small shop.  The fine stuff will kill you!

I suspect some of the pros among us also work in small spaces and take dust collection pretty seriously.  What have y'all got, are you happy with your choice, and why did you choose it?

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dust collection????
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
I picked up a,good dust collector off craigs list for about  1/2 price.
Made a tremendous difference. Each major machine is hooked up.
Next I'd like to get one of the hanging air cleaners.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
I use a shop vac on each tool and put an air cleaner in the ceiling. The air cleaner really made a big difference. I got this one.
  http://www.grizzly.com/products/Hanging-Air-Filter-w-Remote/G0572  

And you stole that edge sander:)

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
Seems my nose hairs filter good enough  :)

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowjunkie:
Seems my nose hairs filter good enough   :)  
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  
My nose isn't that hairy. I bought a 1 1/2 HP dust collector. It can easily handle the output from a 20 inch planer. One thing I discovered; my machines have 4 inch dust ports, so I always used a 4 inch hose. My dust collector has a 5 inch intake with a 4 inch adapter. I recently started using a 5 inch hose that is necked down to 4 inches right at the machines and I noticed a big improvement in pulling power. Now what I need to do is change the dust ports on the machines to 5 inch. I also use a shopvac hose that I attach to the big hose to clean sawdust off the walls, machines, etc. It's a lot quieter and more powerful than the shopvac.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
I've got three different vac systems in my small shop and use different vacs for different machines. Still the super fine dust gets everywhere. Maybe one of those air cleaners is the final setup I need.

It's really amazing how much fine dust can slip out into the air.
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
They make a huge difference, Troy.

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
Hey, Roy.  I regret that the edge sander is part of a very sad story.  The sale included $11,000 of brand new woodworking power tools and was the result of a personal tragedy.  The seller, to say the least, is in my prayers.

Troy, I have a Jet ambient air filter.  It is indeed very helpful, but I am going to upgrade the internal bag and external filter.  Wynn Environmental sells aftermarket upgrade filters.

Others who are contemplating ambient filters should be aware that they don't substitute for collection at the tool.  Once the stuff is in the air, it takes awhile to filter and the really fine dust (which is most dangerous and too small to even be visible) may not be captured.  In the meantime, it's going in your lungs.

The question of how to catch the stuff at the tool is a contentious issue among woodworkers.  The best solution clearly is a cyclone.  Unfortunately, woodworkers squabble so much about various cyclones and filters that it gets pretty hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.  Views are so polarized and suggest so much personal animosity that is hard to know who to trust.

We work with toxic woods and I know several professional bowyers have developed serious problems from exposure.  OSHA must be an issue, too, for those who have employees.  Do we have any pros or DIYers who have addressed these issues? Anyone running a cyclone system who can report on performance?  Anyone who has evaluated results by checking their shop air with a particle counter?

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »
I thought I might have to give up bow making a few years back. I had a single stage collector that I thought was good, and it was. When my symptoms became so bad that I couldn't enter my shop for weeks at a time I knew I had to do something.
I bought an onieda cyclone, made strong efforts to catch the dust at the tool, used my jet ambient filter and made a serious effort to KEEP THE SHOP CLEAN. I run the shop vac(w/bags installed) very often and I wear my respirator. during times of heavy dust making work(such as ruffing a bow out on the edge sander) I will run the overhead filter on high for an hour while I eat lunch. It don't always work out that way but I try. my symptoms have really cleared up and if they do return, it is usually a sign that I need to clean.
I like Onieda. Made in USA and they work great.

Also, pay attention to what may be a  bad wood or finish for you. Cocobola and super glue is bad news for me. I use it but very carefully.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Troy D. Breeding

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
Been working on a few pieces of furniture for the past several weeks and I thought I had been doing my best to keep all the dust under control.

Anyway, last week I was ready to start applying the finish to several of the pieces. After a closer look I could easily see that what I thought was a great attempt to control the dust was less that close.

I spent most of the next day with doors and windows open blowing with the leaf blower and running over everything with the mid-sized shop vac to get the shop clean enough for finish work.

Looks like my next purchase will be some sort of fine dust collector.

Got to do something, winter is close at hand. That means lamination and veneer building time will be here before I know it.
Troy D. Breeding
 www.WoodGallery295.net

Retirement ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
Which Oneida do you have?  I've been looking at the 2 and 3HP Gorilla as well as the ClearVue.  2HP would be nice because it could run on 110V and might be doable.  My shop is not very large.

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
I have used a home made downdraft table for sanding with a hand sander.  I connect it to my dust collector or shop vac.  It picks up a lot of the finer dust right at the source before it gets in the air.  I made an overhead air cleaner from a small squirrel cage fan and use a very good furnace filter on it.  I also added a garbage can separator on my dust collector to make it more efficient.  Yes, I am cheap but plans/ideas for all of the items were found in wood working magazines or online.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 06:29:00 AM »
I have a large 3hp Oneida, 220v. But I think any collector will do the job if used properly. Just collect from one machine at a time and try to catch as much dust as you can. I built some plywood shoots/funnels/boxes to do the job I needed them to do. the big thing is this, pay attention to the air that you blow back into the shop. Meaning get the upgraded filter bag for a smaller single stage collector. or the better filters for the fine air filter.
Even running the paper filter bags in the shop vac made a huge difference in my clean up.

My cyclone has the big canister filter for the return air. It hardly ever needs to be cleaned because the cyclone does such a good job. I get barley a hand full of dust from it.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 07:24:00 AM »
I used a standard delta bag dust collector but have it in a seprate room and piping to each of my tools with blast gates. Made a huge difference. If you leave a bag collector in the same room you will get very fine paricles coming from the bag.
I want a air filter also just havent bought one yet.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 06:29:00 AM »
I use a shop vac ,with a drywall filter bag inside, on each tool. Works pretty well for me.

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Oneida.  How much ducting and what sort do you run with your 3HP?  Do you keep more than one blast gate open at a time?

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 07:24:00 PM »
I settled on an Oneida V-3000 3hp cyclone.  It's still in a pile of boxes in my garage.  Hope to get it put together next weekend if the weather cooperates.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
Shop vac on power tools and a hepa filter to take the fine stuff out of the air.  A couple years ago I also started wearing a respirator during all sanding which I never use to.  Now that I got use to wearing that respirator, I simply can not tolerate any dust.  Don't know how I did it before.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
Anyone put their dust collection units outside?  You end up sucking out some of your conditioned air if you're warming or cooling your shop, but filtration becomes a non-issue.  Growing up in a cabinet shop, all the dust collection was outside the main work areas.  Heck the main system was just a big blower on top of an enclosed trailer.  No filtration at all, but kept the shop air clean.

I have a little 1hp unit and am looking to upgrade.  I have a ceiling unit that helps a lot.  I'm seriously considering putting whatever I upgrade to outside the shop to free up space and reduce filtration requirements.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
Putting the main unit outside the shop is the best way. Having a little trouble talking myself into cutting a hole in the wall.

Another note. If you use PVC pipe for your system be sure to,add the ground strap through out.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©