Author Topic: fade length (have I made a mistake?)  (Read 723 times)

Offline DaveMac

• Trad Bowhunter
fade length (have I made a mistake?)
« on: October 27, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
I'm in the process of building my first board bow using instructions from a book called the backyard bowyer. The bow is white ash 70" long 68" NtN with a 5" static handle pyramid design. In the book the bow is 1.5" wide and the fades are 1" long. However my board was wider so I increased the width to 2" but I kept the fades 1" long, I have recently read that I should have increased the fade length as I made the bow wider.

So my question is will this cause the bow to break? Also is there a rule or formula as to how long the fades should be?

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: fade length (have I made a mistake?)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
I haven't seen anything on a formula for fade length.
Most usually allow for 4 inch handle and 2 inches of fade on each end.
I think a thicker, top to bottom handle requires a little longer fade.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
The fades are the transition between the static handle and flexing limb. As long as you get a good transition you should not have a problem. I prefer a 1 1/2" to 2" fade area depending on the bow design. 1" seems a bit short for a smooth transition in my opinion.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
This is why I dislike the use of the term 'fade' in wooden bows. Only three posts into this thread and we're talking about two completely different things.

I've always understood it to mean as Pat described... where the stiff handle 'fades' into working limb. I believe the term was derived from 'the fadeouts'... on glassbows, where the handle thins to nothing, or, fades-out . which is more of a reference to thickness, not width. The same area on wooden bows has been traditionally known as 'the dips'.

What I believe Dave is talking about is where the narrowed handle flares out to the limb's widest point. I was taught to call this part of a bow the flare. On his bow, I'd say that it has a 1" flare.... meaning, in the space of an inch, it widens(or flares) from the narrowed handle to the limb's widest point.... and yes, that is quite an abrupt change considering he is taking it to a full 2" wide. I would have lengthened the flare to about 2"... in other words... it would be 2" wide, 2" from the handle. But don't change it now Dave, unless your dips (fades) will STILL be beyond the flares afterwards... I don't know if you have a handle piece glued on yet.... if you do, its length could limit how much you can change.

I think 'fade' was mistakenly used to reference 'flare' at one point and more folks have come to follow suit... which probably happened because the words are similar and these parts of the bow are in very close proximity to one another... new bowyers wouldn't be too sure yet of the terminology or what they were looking at.

But regardless, it's important to clearly differenciate between the two because their relationship in these bows is vital. If a bow's handle/throat area doesn't get thick enough before it gets narrow, it will be weak there and likely break.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »

This is generally how things are discussed in the bowyer's circles I've been privy to, which I think eliminates confusion. Depending on the bowyer's desire/design, sometimes the distinguishing elements of these 'parts' can be very suble, appear quite different than I have drawn (plus, I'm obviously no artist), with the transitions perhaps making them harder to identify, but their relationship would be no less important... the dips always coming in to working limb thickness far enough beyond the flares to eliminate weakness in the narrowed portion.

I've seen numerous times where folks apparently understood 'flare' and 'fade' to be synonomous, got them confused and switched, or believed that they should be executed at the same place... which created a weakness and the bow broke right there.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
I do think the fades and the flare should correspond with each other.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DaveMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
Thanks for clearing up the terms. I thought it might be easier just to take a photograph.

I have re-measured and its not as bad as I feared the flare width is 1 3/4".

So the question is how should I proceed,

a) get the surform out again and take the flares down to 1 1/2" width.

b) carry on and hope that it doesn't snap.

If I do just carry on, what are the danger signs to look for? If its weak at the fades/flare would that mean that the bow would bend more at that point?

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
I think you can proceed. You didn't say what weight your goal is. 1/2 inch is still pretty hefty. If you will be taking more off overall then the fades will grow a little longer as you tiller.

The flares could be a little longer but think that can be accomplished as you finish the bow.
Should be strong enough. Just don't pull it too far. Do the floor tillering next.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Offline DaveMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
Have started long string tillering and it seems to be bending evenly. So would I be right in thinking that if there is a problem with the flare/fade it will be bending more in that area?

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
It might, but there's just as good a chance that it will just break there with no warning.

What is concerning to me about your bow is the orientation of its flares and fades. This is what I was referencing in my post above. Compare my drawing to your bow. See how my dips fade into working limb thickness just beyond the flares, and yours dips into working limb thickness to the handle side of them? That's scarey. Some folks' bows break there if it gets too thin and narrow in the same spot.

It might be ok if your bow is of lighter draw weight and there isn't a lot of strain there, but you should do things a little differently in the future to ensure durability/longevity.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
Best of luck with it, but I wouldn't want to shoot it. BOOM....

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Good eye Bowjunkie,  I failed to see that.
It is scarey.
Think light weight.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Offline DaveMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 03:28:00 AM »
Thats disappointing, but I am pleased that you noticed the error, so thankyou. I was only intending for the bow to be around 30# @ 28" so not sure if thats light enough. I think that I will proceed with tillering it for practice, and rough out a couple more boards correcting the fade/flare problems.

So in reference to my photo in previous post, the flare length should be longer approx 2" and I should be starting the dip before the flare, would 1/2" suffice? That would mean a 2 1/2" fade and 2" flare.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 08:27:00 AM »
Don't be bashful with your dips. Get them on out there past the flares. IMO, 1/2" is barely enough. Depending on other design parameters, I lay them out 1 1/2 - 2" past the flare initially, and then work them back in a little closer as I tiller, sneaking the flexing back closer to the flares as I gauge its bend AND shape and blend together the limbs and handle area. Though my limb bellies are radiused and handles rounded, so I likely do more shaping and wood removal in this area than you do. Also, my bows are usually over 60 lbs and sometimes 70, so I can't afford to takes chances in this area.

You can always take wood off... can't put it back on.

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 08:38:00 AM »
All is not lost. You said you had a 5 inch handle, cut back to a 3 1/2 or 4 and get a smoother dip area. Or just remove the built up handle area and roll-on!

I like the second option better.

Or a third leave as is and well you never know!
Dustin
_ _ _________________________________ _  _

Offline William F. Adams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
I was succesful w/ similar dimensions w/ a hickory (sapwood) backed w/ pecan (heartwood) --- lost a lot of working limb area and poundage (had to pike it) and it came out whip-ended, but shoots well.

If you're trying lightweight, it's fine, if you want something heavier, shorten the handle as 1mississip suggested (which is what I wish I'd done).

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
For a light weight bow, it would likely survive. If you wanted to be sure, you could cut the handle off, so that the handle area was the same thickness as the limbs, then glue on a handle piece long enough to carry your dips past the flares. You could allow enough to cut your flares longer too if you wanted.

Offline DaveMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
If I were to cut the handle to the thickness of the rest of the bow and glue on a new handle, how would I prevent the handle going off when the bow bends

the only way  I have read about is to start the fade in the main limb wood, and its currently only 1/2" thick.

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
Eric Krewson came up with a neat method that you could try.  Check out this thread:  

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=010659
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »
You could simply build a nice feeling handle with a leather wrap and shoot off a floppy rest.
Dustin
_ _ _________________________________ _  _

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©